Shrinking oversize sweaters?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ozoid, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Ozoid

Ozoid New Member

Has anyone successfully shrunk sweaters without damaging them?

My father is cleaning out his closet and gave some wonderful sweaters. 3 are larges,however, and I'm definitely a medium. One is a Polo RL, thick cotton yarn in a fisherman pattern. Another is a finer gauge of cashmere, and the tag of the third only identifies it as wool, in a yarn gauge and weight that approximates a typical lambswool v-neck sweater vest.

Any suggestions?

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I've successfully shrunk quite a few sweaters without damaging them and my son and my g/f love me for my 'efforts'. Putting the dryer on high usually does the trick. Everytime I have done it I have tried shout, "Eureka!!!" but somehow it always comes out as "Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkk!!!!!"

3. Ozoid

Ozoid New Member

Not sure I understand. "Successfully shrunk quite a few sweaters," yet it comes out as "Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!"

Former or latter?

4. bings

bings Senior member

just wash in hot water then put them in a dryer on high heat but keep checking on them... unshrinking is waaaaaaay harder to to :)

i've successfully shrunk a few that are in regular rotation but i've also over-shrunk a few nice cashmeres that i'll be saving for my kids now.

5. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

Careful with the wool and cashmere sweaters -- they can turn into felt pretty quickly in the dryer.

I'd try a warm/hot water bath first for those.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I was able to successfully unshrink 2 wool sweaters with an extended soak in water and fabric softener and then pinning the sweater on a piece of cardboard to dry

7. bings

bings Senior member

^^^ yeah i have to try that on a couple pieces... i know it can be done it just takes time, patience and some table space :)