• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking one wash 45rpm Sorahiko's

mgroup

Reaction score
I have a pair of one wash 45rpm Sorahiko's that I would like to shrink about half an inch to an inch in the wasit and about one inch in length. So my question would be what's the best way to do this since they are one wash. If I give them a warm soak for an hour, will that get them shrinked down? Thanks in advance for the help.

minya

Reaction score
they won't shrink. You bought the wrong size.

and in the future, just so you know, "one-wash" is synonymous with "pre-shrunk"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, and inch is asking a lot (not even dry (sanforized) inseams shrink that much on washing, but you might get a bit of shrinkage by hot washing and tumble drying (of course, you'll get shrinkage on the inseam as well). How loose are they, anyway? You know, for the longest time before the tight jean craze, it was pretty common to wear R jeans loose and antifit.

mgroup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Well, and inch is asking a lot (not even dry (sanforized) inseams shrink that much on washing, but you might get a bit of shrinkage by hot washing and tumble drying (of course, you'll get shrinkage on the inseam as well). How loose are they, anyway? You know, for the longest time before the tight jean craze, it was pretty common to wear R jeans loose and antifit.

I'm a 35 waist and have size 36 Sorahiko's. The fit isn't to bad. Everything feels right except for the waist. I probably just can't wear them without a belt. They aren't super tight so hopefully they won't stretch to much.

nobody knows

Reaction score
I would soak them in the bath tub in warm to mildly hot water for about a half hour. Make sure they are submerged but dont agitate them much. Then let them hang dry. When they are almost dry wear them and they should mold to your body. If they are still too large you can put them in a dryer inside out for 10 minutes and see if that helps. You can also soak them in the tub again if you still need them to shrink up. Put in about 1/2 cup of vinegar and this will help keep the color dark.

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nobody knows
I would soak them in the bath tub in warm to mildly hot water for about a half hour. Make sure they are submerged but dont agitate them much. Then let them hang dry. When they are almost dry wear them and they should mold to your body. If they are still too large you can put them in a dryer inside out for 10 minutes and see if that helps. You can also soak them in the tub again if you still need them to shrink up. Put in about 1/2 cup of vinegar and this will help keep the color dark.
This won't shrink them. They've already been washed. The state they're in now is essentially the smallest they will ever be.

nobody knows

Reaction score
I disagree. Depending on the temp 45rpm used in the first wash you can still get more shrinkage out. In fact denim tends to have residual shrinkage that can take up to 5 or more washed to max out. If 45rpm used cold water in the one wash (which I think they do), by using warm to hot water in the tub and a few minutes in the dryer you can get more shrinkage out. Sorry dear, your wrong!

minya

Reaction score
I doubt 45RPM uses cold water to shrink their jeans. I would bet they use hot water and/or hot dryers. Even if there is further shrinkage to be had, they will certainly not shrink .5-1" in the waist. Sorry dear, your wrong!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could help y'all out, but my Sorahiko hasn't been washed yet. I suspect that the length will shrink very minimally if you do a cold soak and machine dry. If you do a hot soak and high heat machine dry, you might get .5" shrinkage in legth and a bit less in the waist.

tangerine

Reaction score
I don't think they are going to shrink any more, at least not any more than they will stretch back out after you've had them on for a few minutes.

I think your best bet is to sell them and buy a smaller size.

To the best of my knowledge, Japanese-made one wash jeans are hard-washed, meaning hot water and dryer, with the specific idea of getting all the shrinkage out of the way.

keal

Reaction score
I can't comment on the Sorahiko, but I have attempted to distress some of my old jeans, and the online recipes called for washing the denim over and over to shrink it. It did work on my pairs, though I wouldn't want to subject the Sorahiko through that ordeal. If it did work, your pair would be one soppy mess of a blue rag. A very $$ rag.
frown.gif
Better to gain weight and fill in those Sorahikos
smile.gif

xcoldricex

Reaction score
yep, that's all you can do- gain weight or sell and get smaller ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads