• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking linen

kalra2411

Reaction score
I bought a Linen (short sleeve black shirt).

It was the last one in the shop (Gucci), so at haste I bought it, only to find when I brought it home, it was too large for me. Is there any way I can shrink the Linen (i.e. Cold wash).

I am aware that I can take it to a tailor, however, that would take too long.

Any ideas how to shrink it?

SwaG

Reaction score
i was just thinking about that for a linen jacket i have...and in fact, a shirt too.

Probably not for the jacket, i guess i'll have to wait and see with you for the shirt.

good call,
IG

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Linen is not sanforized. If you wash it and put it in a dryer, it will shrink.

If the garment looks like it was prewashed then you will not get the desired shrinkage.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Linen is not sanforized. If you wash it and put it in a dryer, it will shrink.

If the garment looks like it was prewashed then you will not get the desired shrinkage.
Should I wash it in cold or hot water?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage

kalra2411

Reaction score
the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
Thanks, will get the maid to try it now.

dorian

Reaction score
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth. why not just say, "i'll try that now." (sorry, j, steve
blush.gif
)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(hermes @ 23 July 2004, 8:19) the hotter the water and the higher the heat of the dryer, the greater the shrinkage
Who is in your avatar by the way?

kalra2411

Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 23 July 2004, 12:47)
Originally Posted by hermes,23 July 2004, 8:19
Who is in your avatar by the way?
That is me, at the recent wedding of my daughter.

kalra2411

Reaction score
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth. why not just say, "i'll try that now." (sorry, j, steve Â
blush.gif
)
People in England do not have a superiority complex. I do realise that Americans do, after all, that is what their country is about - escaping from the British hieratical social standing system. I obviously did not mean to cause offense, but in England, people would think nothing of such a comment. EDIT: Also, if I said what you told me to say, it would be a lie.

dorian

Reaction score
I am English, Kalra, but congratulations on an imaginative retort.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I am English, Kalra, but congratulations on an imaginative retort.
Yes, then you must be in the north, or at the very least not in the Westend.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
obnoxious. humility is a quality one ought to have acquired either while being brought up in or while creating wealth.

Thanks. I don't think I'd be a liar if I said that you speak for most members of the forum.

(sorry, j, steve )

Apologies on my part too.

BTW, I'm under the impression that most Brits are very much against archaic class system that was exasperated during the Victorian era. Thus the tradition (I've never experienced it myself, but just heard from English friends) of everyone buying their round at the pub, whether they work in the factory or own the factory.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between Dorian and Kalra, I know who I'd buy a beer for and who I'd spill his beer (sorry, I meant really expensive whiskey, or perhaps a frou frou drink) on.

Last peep out of me, Steve and J, I promise.

kalra2411

Reaction score
BTW, I'm under the impression that most Brits are very much against archaic class system that was exasperated during the Victorian era. Thus the tradition (I've never experienced it myself, but just heard from English friends) of everyone buying their round at the pub, whether they work in the factory or own the factory.

Yes, that is probably true outside of the Westend these days, but as I am in the westend, I have no need to worry about such views.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads