• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinkage in Selvedge Denim?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how much shrinkage would occur in unwashed Selvedge Denim? I just bought some in a size 30 and don't know if i should get a 31, i usually wear a 29-30 in denim.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Shrinkage in the length is 2-5% but I dont think shrink in waist is that much. My unwashed denims shrink back down to size on washing (negating stretch). Also, wash it, then hang it to dry and while its hanging stretch the inseam, if youre afraid of shrinking. Of course it depends. Are we talking Evisu, Nudie, APC? Or Levi's, GAP?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope we're talking about raw, unwashed denim..

The largest shrinkage I've had on selvedge denim were on my Levis Vintage Clothing and Denime. The Levis shrunk about 2 inches in the waist and about 3 to 4 inches in length, and it slimmed down a bit. The Denimes also shrunk about as much.

Very little if any shrinkage in my Nudies and Wrangler originals... I believe it is because the cotton is mercerized/sanforized in these jeans. All my other raw selvedge demim fall in between these two extremes.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea. Nudie damn well sanforize their jeans because they TELL you as part of their marketing that you're supposed to not wash your jeans for 6 months. That would suck to have to buy size 34s and wear them for 6 months before you can wash them down to size 31.. or likewise for other sizes.

APCs are also sanforized very nicely, from what I can tell.

Levis on the other hand are not, but I think that's sort of the appeal of "Shrink to Fit." And since Denime is pretty much replicating Levis as well as well they can, it makes sense for them to shrink quite a bit as well.

Larmo63

Reaction score
What about Levi's 1947 501 LVC? I hate wearing a tag that advertises that I can fit in a size 36??!!!
I have a pair of 34's that are my all-time favorite jeans. I need another pair and should I try another washing method? The ones I have are too tight in the waist and I'd like a little longer (cuffing) I am buying either 34/34 or 34/36. I don't know which ones to buy?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larmo63
What about Levi's 1947 501 LVC? I hate wearing a tag that advertises that I can fit in a size 36??!!!
I have a pair of 34's that are my all-time favorite jeans. I need another pair and should I try another washing method? The ones I have are too tight in the waist and I'd like a little longer (cuffing) I am buying either 34/34 or 34/36. I don't know which ones to buy?

I promise to answer you, but in 2013.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads