Shrinkage in Selvedge Denim?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Feb 4, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

Was wondering how much shrinkage would occur in unwashed Selvedge Denim? I just bought some in a size 30 and don't know if i should get a 31, i usually wear a 29-30 in denim.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

About 2-5% shrinkage. Some say 2-3%, but I call bullshit on that.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Shrinkage in the length is 2-5% but I dont think shrink in waist is that much. My unwashed denims shrink back down to size on washing (negating stretch). Also, wash it, then hang it to dry and while its hanging stretch the inseam, if youre afraid of shrinking. Of course it depends. Are we talking Evisu, Nudie, APC? Or Levi's, GAP?

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I hope we're talking about raw, unwashed denim..

The largest shrinkage I've had on selvedge denim were on my Levis Vintage Clothing and Denime. The Levis shrunk about 2 inches in the waist and about 3 to 4 inches in length, and it slimmed down a bit. The Denimes also shrunk about as much.

Very little if any shrinkage in my Nudies and Wrangler originals... I believe it is because the cotton is mercerized/sanforized in these jeans. All my other raw selvedge demim fall in between these two extremes.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Absolutely correct. Nice that they do that, I think.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yea. Nudie damn well sanforize their jeans because they TELL you as part of their marketing that you're supposed to not wash your jeans for 6 months. That would suck to have to buy size 34s and wear them for 6 months before you can wash them down to size 31.. or likewise for other sizes.

APCs are also sanforized very nicely, from what I can tell.

Levis on the other hand are not, but I think that's sort of the appeal of "Shrink to Fit." And since Denime is pretty much replicating Levis as well as well they can, it makes sense for them to shrink quite a bit as well.

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 New Member

What about Levi's 1947 501 LVC? I hate wearing a tag that advertises that I can fit in a size 36??!!!
    I have a pair of 34's that are my all-time favorite jeans. I need another pair and should I try another washing method? The ones I have are too tight in the waist and I'd like a little longer (cuffing) I am buying either 34/34 or 34/36. I don't know which ones to buy?

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

What about Levi's 1947 501 LVC? I hate wearing a tag that advertises that I can fit in a size 36??!!!
    I have a pair of 34's that are my all-time favorite jeans. I need another pair and should I try another washing method? The ones I have are too tight in the waist and I'd like a little longer (cuffing) I am buying either 34/34 or 34/36. I don't know which ones to buy?

I promise to answer you, but in 2013.