• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrink a cashmere jumper ?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 cashmere jumpers which are too large for my taste.

I thought about puting them in hot water for a few minutes. Do you think it could make them shrink without making any damage to the threads?

Could it be a good way to make them more tight ?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO... I tried this once with a merino wool, and it shrinks in an odd way. Trust me on this -- it cannot be done.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO...  I tried this once with a merino wool, and it shrinks in an odd way.  Trust me on this -- it cannot be done.
Did you put it in a washing machine?

Odd in which way?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, perhaps I misunderstood you -- are you going to then DRY the thing in a dryer? If so, it shrinks mainly up (gets shorter) and the arms become tiny. If you are just talking about soaking it and letting it air dry, I think you run a better risk of stretching it than shrinking it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

stache

Reaction score
Measure how big you want the sweater to be, then dip in tepid water. Squeeze out extra water and place sweater on a flat surface with a towel covering. Start pulling sweater to desired measurements. Do this periodicaly as the sweater dries. This technique is called blocking.

armscye

Reaction score
Blocking largely holds the same size, with some effect on length.

The proper way to do this is to take the garments to a tailor or dressmaker, who can alter all three to fit properly in multiple dimensions, probably for $25 or $30 each.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting issue as we have got 3 differents opinions...

I just wanted to wet it and let it dry lying.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Blocking largely holds the same size, with some effect on length.

The proper way to do this is to take the garments to a tailor or dressmaker, who can alter all three to fit properly in multiple dimensions, probably for $25 or $30 each.
Oh geez, why haven't I thought of that earlier? Brilliant.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, Mr. Dryer the Tailor is very unpredictable. I would not recommend experimenting unless you don't mind losing the ability to wear the item. Alas, one should just try to purchase items that fit oneself (a lesson that I painfully learned).

Jon.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alter yes, boil NO NO NO

Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alter yes, boil NO NO NO

Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly
mais non. le cheezburger, eet ees for redneck

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Carlo @ Feb. 14 2005,07:32) Alter yes, boil NO NO NO Better option - buy cheeseburgers, will solve your 12 too large suit problem quickly
mais non. le cheezburger, eet ees for redneck
@#$&@ @&$^# )(*# @#&$# .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 69 36.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 72 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads