• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shows you wish were on DVD

Ramses

Reaction score
I was watching television and saw that Iron Chef was on at 5:00 PM when I went to watch it I was sickened to learn that it was some crappy American wannabe-so I go to Amazon, to see if the Original Japanese show is on DVD divided up by seasons, only to learn it is not. I do not understand why a show good enough to mock is not on DVD. Also the Practice with Dylan Mcdermott should be on DVD also. Are there any other television shows you would like to see on DVD that are not?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TopGear!!!!!!!!!!!

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder Years.

The problem is the licensing, where the producers may have paid the rights to play a song for TV broadcast but this doesn't include the rights to include it on the DVDs. So, its going to cost a small fortune to secure the music rights. Other TV shows avoided this dilema by simply using different songs on the DVDs than what was originally broadcast on TV. But, with Wonder Years, the original songs are so specific and important to the scene that it would totally destroy that connection if you simply replaced it with another song.

Another TV series I'd love to watch on DVD would be Reunion, which was prematurely cancelled by FOX last year. This was my favorite show, and they cancelled it before they revealed the ending. They didn't even bother showing the rest of the episodes they had filmed. Again, the musical rights are going to be an issuse and probably why they're never going to release it on DVD.

Reaction score
I wish someone would issue the Andy Warhol Show on DVD. I saw some of it a the Warhol Museum, a riot. Why is this is not available on DVD?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
Another TV series I'd love to watch on DVD would be Reunion, which was prematurely cancelled by FOX last year. This was my favorite show, and they cancelled it before they revealed the ending.

Ouch. Didn't watch the show, but that would really tick me off.
cloud.gif

Stax

Reaction score
maxHeadroom.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Get Smart, the 60s spy comedy with Don Adams. There are/were bootlegs floating around on ebay but the series has never been officially released.

I would have also voted for Giant Robot and Ultraman but I got bootlegs of both shows a few years ago and they rule ok!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Get Smart, the 60s spy comedy with Don Adams. There are/were bootlegs floating around on ebay but the series has never been officially released.

Have you seen this? Five-season set coming in November, according to Mark Evanier:
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2...26.html#012155

I'd like to see the entire series of "Maverick" on DVD. They released a sampler, and I guess future releases will depend on how well that does.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I want to have the rest of the seasons of Everwood on DVD. They stopped making them after season 1, which was one of the greatest seasons of Family TV ever (I'm a single man, but a good story is a good story). Why they stopped, no idea. Just plain annoying.

Ditto on the wonder years. I have the episodes on zapruder-like files, but I'd buy a crystal-clear set in a heartbeat. But yes, watching those old shows, you can see that music would be a huge, huge problem.

I just realized, from searching, that they released Voltron in DVD remastered editions. Now I am buying those on Amazon. So exciting.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerhard Reinke's Wanderlust

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be awesome if PBS releases every broadcast of Great Performance/Dance in America on DVD, especially those from NYCB & ABT golden years from 60's thru early 80's.

Whatever I've already collected they're going to release them in BluRay making my collection obsolete.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads