1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your grenadine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Feb 6, 2008.

1. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

From the Ben Silver website describing its grenadine tie: "The grenadine weave necktie has the appearance of a lacy knit and the durability of old world "non-crease" wovens - an elegant and practical look in a solid color necktie."

From the Turnbull & Asser website defining Lace Weave: "Lace weave is formed using a combination of "╦ťfloats' created on a plain weave such that the illusion of small openings is created thus mimicking the appearance of lace."

They admit their ties are fake grenadines. So if you cannot see any openings in your tie when you hold it up to a light, then you do not have a real grenadine.

2. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^No, they admit that their ties are fake knits, which is what grenadine is. Grenadine is a woven tie that has the illusion of knit.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

That looks sort of like mine, but on your tie I can quite clearly see the silk backing that the surface is woven into. Mine appear to be true knits (albeit lined).

4. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Classic grenadine weaves are not currently being woven in England. Although some beautiful silks are woven that are similar.

Fermo Fossati in Italy weaves our grenadine silk for us. Otto Mantero is the owner of both Fermo Fossati and Carlo Riva. Carlo Riva and Fermo Fossati share elements of management and both are very small and friendly weavers of beautiful fabric using older looms. it really is a pleasure working with these people.

Actually many of the family run mills in Italy have charming management. When I was a boy my father told me stories of visiting mills in Italy where at lunch time all the workers would eat inside the owner's home. I am not sure how often this happens these days.

When making grenadines it is important to use a good double layer of combed 100% wool interlining. With darker grenadine colors we hand paint our wool interlinings - this is in addition to hand cutting the wool and silk and hand sewing etc..

It is difficult to tell from web photos what is a classic grenadine and what is a modern cousin. An important thing to note is that a classic grenadine will have a perfect drape and make a knot that is full and very easy to shape as you wish.

5. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Hober bespoke
    Hober bespoke
    Hober bespoke
    Brioni
    Brioni
    Drake's

[​IMG]

If you don't mind, what colour is the left-most Hober? Forest green?

Oh, and I guess I should contribute.

1. Hober burgundy grenadine.
    Colour looks purple in the photo, but it is burgundy in real life:

[​IMG]

2. Hober sage grenadine:Again, colour is way off in the photo.

[​IMG]

Same sage grenadine showing navy tipping:

[​IMG]

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yup..that's a Hober forest green.

7. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

the start of my grenadine collection (more colors to follow)

all the blues are actually different shades, despite the way they may look in the picture

all 3.75"

Blues (top to bottom)

Lawrence of Warwick UK
    E.Marinella
    M.Bardelli
    Sam Hober (Navy)
    Sam Hober (Slate)

Mixed (top to bottom)

Attolini (not really a grenadine, more like a Charvet weave, but I consider them similar) - bronze
    Oxxford - wine
    M Bardelli - brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder if the silk for all these grenadines comes from the same place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow. This thread really delivers. It is like looking at the same fucking tie, over and over, with only the color changing.

10. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow. This thread really delivers. It is like looking at the same fucking tie, over and over, with only the color changing.

not as exciting as those sperm ties you like to wrap yourself in.

11. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Heavens, do some of us allocate special ties for ummmm "special" activities?

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Heavens, do some of us allocate special ties for ummmm "special" activities?

Hey, not everyone is into casual sex. Not even business casual.

13. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Just received two new Hober grenadines: burgundy and dark navy. Here's the burgundy in full deployment.

[​IMG]

14. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

^^^^ such a classic look ^^^^

[​IMG]