• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

Limniscate

Reaction score

Just ordered a new coat on their tour, anyone know how long it takes to be made and shipped? Wasn't sure if it'd be like a week or several months.

Ordered a suit in early June and was told that I wouldn't receive it until September.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new coat on their tour, anyone know how long it takes to be made and shipped? Wasn't sure if it'd be like a week or several months.

typically around three months.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1f633.png
They made me a suit in a week last time I was in HK. Is there anyway to get it faster?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1f633.png
They made me a suit in a week last time I was in HK. Is there anyway to get it faster?

The way they organize orders from their trunk shows is significantly different from the orders they take directly in their shop. I've been seeing them in NYC for the past 4 years and my orders have always taken around 3 months to receive....

Jsoftz

Reaction score
As promised, here are the new pics for the Carlo Barbera jacket and some new Solaro trousers. The back has been cleaned up somewhat but.. I dunno it still isn't perfect. Maybe this has to do with the weight of the fabric? That was @Limniscate's impression, and he took these photos. I will also add that these came out of a suit case, so that affects the drape I'm sure.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As promised, here are the new pics for the Carlo Barbera jacket and some new Solaro trousers. The back has been cleaned up somewhat but.. I dunno it still isn't perfect. Maybe this has to do with the weight of the fabric? That was @Limniscate's impression, and he took these photos. I will also add that these came out of a suit case, so that affects the drape I'm sure.

Looks very nice! I know we're all chasing perfection, but when noticing slight imperfections in my own items, I'm often consoled by the words of one of my tailors: "it's a cloth, not wood. It moves. Enjoy..."

Jsoftz

Reaction score

Looks very nice! I know we're all chasing perfection, but when noticing slight imperfections in my own items, I'm often consoled by the words of one of my tailors: "it's a cloth, not wood. It moves. Enjoy..."

I tried to make a joke here involving books of wood but there was no way to do it without sounding dirty.

...Thanks for the compliment!

OJonesHK

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Chan have hiked their prices up in the last couple of years?

I've just been quoted quite a bit more for a sports jacket (W Bill Shetland Collection) & 2pc (W Bills Irish Donegals) than I paid for my last 2 pc (Minnis Fresco) 2 years back. I don't think the fabric changes would account for the difference, which seems to be about 50 percent extra.

I'll be in HK in Nov/ Dec for the fittings so their trunk show prices don't apply. However, they quoted in USD, so I'm not sure if theres been some confusion.

Any information would be appreciated!

Cheers

Jsoftz

Reaction score

Does anyone know if Chan have hiked their prices up in the last couple of years?

I've just been quoted quite a bit more for a sports jacket (W Bill Shetland Collection) & 2pc (W Bills Irish Donegals) than I paid for my last 2 pc (Minnis Fresco) 2 years back. I don't think the fabric changes would account for the difference, which seems to be about 50 percent extra.

I'll be in HK in Nov/ Dec for the fittings so their trunk show prices don't apply. However, they quoted in USD, so I'm not sure if theres been some confusion.

Any information would be appreciated!

Cheers

I mean, the prices are definitely higher than they were 2 years ago. No question. They don't try to conceal that. Pretty sure W Bill costs more than the Minnis Fresco book, took, even when apples to apples.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Got a few suits back from Chan for alteration, and wore one to a wedding this weekend in Ohio. It's important to note that I'm probably 5-10 lbs lighter than I was when the alterations were measured for and 10-15 lbs lighter than when I commissioned the suit originally, so some of the issues are bound to be related to that.

The back continues to be confounding - it's a pretty lightweight (9oz?) Dugdale so I know it will never drape like a 12 ounce worsted or a 16 ounce flannel. But I live in Texas, after all, and lightweight is the name of the game.

Of particular concern are the sleeves - there are some other photos from the night where arms look like they are swimming in fabric. Is this something I should work to alter or is it just something I am going to have to live with if I am going to be this weight?

Pics below:

Front

Back

Awkward selfie in a mirror at an ice cream shop

As an FYI, shirt is CEGO, tie is Hober, and shoes are EG Cadogan on the 202.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems the dropped shoulder was hard for them to fully address. The front, though, looks great.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got a few suits back from Chan for alteration, and wore one to a wedding this weekend in Ohio. It's important to note that I'm probably 5-10 lbs lighter than I was when the alterations were measured for and 10-15 lbs lighter than when I commissioned the suit originally, so some of the issues are bound to be related to that.

The back continues to be confounding - it's a pretty lightweight (9oz?) Dugdale so I know it will never drape like a 12 ounce worsted or a 16 ounce flannel. But I live in Texas, after all, and lightweight is the name of the game.

Of particular concern are the sleeves - there are some other photos from the night where arms look like they are swimming in fabric. Is this something I should work to alter or is it just something I am going to have to live with if I am going to be this weight?

Pics below:

Lightweight fabric and grey color is the worst combination for showing fitting flaws, and I don't really think one can expect a tailor like Chan to churn out clean backs regardless. The only well-fitting light grey back I think I've ever seen was Jeffery D. I used to canvas the back of my sleeves to smooth out the ripples, it actually worked quite well, you might consider doing that yourself.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lightweight fabric and grey color is the worst combination for showing fitting flaws, and I don't really think one can expect a tailor like Chan to churn out clean backs regardless. The only well-fitting light grey back I think I've ever seen was Jeffery D. I used to canvas the back of my sleeves to smooth out the ripples, it actually worked quite well, you might consider doing that yourself.

Just curious why you think it's not realistic to expect a clean back from Chan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads