• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
I figure I'm saving quite a bit by using my own cloth. My tailor has quoted me about $800.00 to $1,000 additional to supply the same cloth I can purchase for about $200.00. Almost every tailor I've ever talked to marks up the fabric by a factor of at least 200% to 300%.

I'm willing to believe that a bespoke tailor has given you a $1000 discount if you bring you own cloth but let me tell you: that's not a common number at all. Most tailors who do CMT will not cut that much. I use one tailor who does CMT and procures fabric too - the difference in price vs what I can purchase myself is maybe $100.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Parker's fabric choice, but the suit is off in a few ways.

First, the pick stitching on the pockets looks sloppy. Maybe it's just in the pictures, but it looks like the stitching should've been close to the edge of the fabric to keep the edges from lifting off the suit. The stitches also might be improperly spaced and some might be tighter than others, but I can't really tell for sure from the pictures.

Second, the breast pocket is just off. It almost looks like the suit was made to be more playful and casual, but the breast pocket's alignment is so contrary to every other line on the suit that it looks sloppy instead. It also looks like its shape is off; that is, if it were folded in half it wouldn't be congruent. These problems are most apparent in this photo:

tan2.jpg

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm willing to believe that a bespoke tailor has given you a $1000 discount if you bring you own cloth but let me tell you: that's not a common number at all. Most tailors who do CMT will not cut that much. I use one tailor who does CMT and procures fabric too - the difference in price vs what I can purchase myself is maybe $100.
I agree with you 100%...most tailors will offer only a token discount for CMT services because they rely on the markup they make on fabric. I was fortunate enough to find a tailor who agreed to make suits for me at a reasonable cost. I also enjoy shopping for the fabric, and have found that I am paying pretty much the same or less than the tailor would have to pay himself to purchase the cloth. I think most tailors deal with so many different suppliers of cloth that they don't receive much of a discount from any of them.

emptym

Reaction score
A few quick shots of Breanish tweed on the left and Smiths Finmeresco on the right:
imgp4254y.jpg
imgp4258.jpg
imgp4252u.jpg
imgp4257.jpg
imgp4251.jpg
imgp4256.jpg
Shoulder closeups here on the Chan shoulder thread.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all the pics are showing up.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Not all the pics are showing up.

Oops. They're fixed. Thanks.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
I agree with you 100%...most tailors will offer only a token discount for CMT services because they rely on the markup they make on fabric. I was fortunate enough to find a tailor who agreed to make suits for me at a reasonable cost.

I also enjoy shopping for the fabric, and have found that I am paying pretty much the same or less than the tailor would have to pay himself to purchase the cloth. I think most tailors deal with so many different suppliers of cloth that they don't receive much of a discount from any of them.

I think depend on where you lived and where you buy your cloths.
The cloths selling in US is much expensive than in Hong Kong, almost 60% more for some brand.
Also if you can got a "tailor" or wholesale price, it is much cheaper than retail price.

I enjoy buying the fabric too.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Maybe it's just in the pictures, but it looks like the stitching should've been close to the edge of the fabric to keep the edges from lifting off the suit.

Are you trolling or serious?

A swelled edge is a classic treatment for tweed or heavy cloth for which a hand edge stitch would be difficult or prone to failure. In casual Italian jackets, there can be a decorative reference to a classic swelled edge even in lighter fabrics not requiring it. This often takes the form of a quarter pick away from the edge, or a double row stitch, one at the edge and one away.

What you see on Parker's heavy cotton suit is a classic swelled edge. It might or might not be hand pick stitched. My understanding is that Chan is one of the few bespoke tailors to possess such a pick stitching machine.

In either case, the prominence of the stitches is a matter of taste. I have bespoke tweed jackets for which the swelled edge is barely perceptible as is the stitching for it, right at the edge, and ones for which there is a more typical (for RTW) quarter spacing. I also have things made in Naples with either double row or decorative quarter stitching. By their nature, the latter will be a bit more obvious since their purpose is to be seen.

Originally Posted by why
It also looks like its shape is off; that is, if it were folded in half it wouldn't be congruent.

I have never seen a bilaterally symmetrical breast patch on any bespoke jacket, nor on one from a RTW maker with pretenses to fine make. At the very least, a highly symmetrical breast patch will still have a sweep or angle at the top.

I have seen symmetrical patches on less ambitious RTW. I suppose one could prefer the latter to the former, but then one misses the point.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
A few quick shots of Breanish tweed on the left and Smiths Finmeresco on the right:
imgp4254y.jpg

I dig it.

I dig the Smith's less.

emptym

Reaction score
^Thank you. The Smiths was done first, with fittings. We made a few changes for the Breanish. Can you be more specific about what you like better on the Breanish? It would be helpful for the future. Anyone else's comments are very welcome too.

One thing I think may make a difference is simply how I'm standing w/ the two jackets. I'm pulling my shoulders back while wearing the fresco. The effect is most obvious in the back shot with all the vertical folds, but I think you can see it in the arms on the side shot and the slimmer profile of the front one.

And +1 to all you wrote in response to "why." I meant to write that too, but forgot.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks good, empty. I like the gray jacket better as well. I think the lapel-to-front-cutaway shape is nicer. This is the new one, yeah? Looks like you did a slight belly on those lapels, too.

As for the stitching on the cotton suit, I asked for a 1/4" inset with a swell. They did the jacket by hand, so the stitches are irregular which is okay with me. The pants, however, are machine sewn and very straight. The breast pocket is rotated at a slight angle which I also asked for. So, I'm to blame if it's wrong.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imgp4254y.jpg

Looks good, particularly the Breanish. I know that unpadded/unstructured is the "SF-approved" way but I actually think you would benefit from a bit more padding in the shoulders, would create more of a V shape. Maybe this could be accomplished by extending the shoulder more but based on the pics from the back I am not sure that would be wise.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Looks good, empty. I like the gray jacket better as well. I think the lapel-to-front-cutaway shape is nicer. This is the new one, yeah? Looks like you did a slight belly on those lapels, too.

As for the stitching on the cotton suit, I asked for a 1/4" inset with a swell. They did the jacket by hand, so the stitches are irregular which is okay with me. The pants, however, are machine sewn and very straight. The breast pocket is rotated at a slight angle which I also asked for. So, I'm to blame if it's wrong.

Thanks P. It is the new one. Two of the adjustments were a little belly on the lapels and slightly more rounded quarters. I really like your pockets and may ask to have them copied if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Looks good, particularly the Breanish. I know that unpadded/unstructured is the "SF-approved" way but I actually think you would benefit from a bit more padding in the shoulders, would create more of a V shape. Maybe this could be accomplished by extending the shoulder more but based on the pics from the back I am not sure that would be wise.
Thanks. I'm not totally against padding, but I thought I'd try the non-padded look for these, and I'm pretty happy w/ it.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That Breanish looks great empty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads