Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sladejw

sladejw Active Member

I've got 2 pair--one as part of a suit, one odd pair of flannels. The suit was first and the pants are a bit snug, which is their current style, IMO. The flannels (2nd pair, asked for more room) have been great, though--as someone with a small seat & big thighs, it's been a welcome change. Minnis flannels about a year and a half (or two) ago were ~$700.

2. AbsoluteStyle

AbsoluteStyle Well-Known Member

How does Gordon Yao compare to Chan? This will be my first bespoke suit for office wear. Cheers!

3. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I have used neither but always thought that Chan was tops.

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I have used both and one cannot go wrong using either but other posters have said that GY is not in the old form as before/or as stated here.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Having used both Yao is way front of Chan.

6. AbsoluteStyle

Thanks! Could you explain why please? Is the construction and fit better? The pricing is similar to my understanding.

7. IsABellyDad

IsABellyDad Active Member

Based on my very limited personal experience (2 suits from Chan, 1 jacket from GY)...

If you are an ordinary walk-in customer, Chan won't have the top cutter and si-fu to attend to your fitting. Thus, the quality can be negatively impacted (at least, you will need to go through more round of fittings and adjustments). If you can spot the problems, Chan will still follow up and rectify as far as practical (even after you have taken the suit and worn it for a while). Since I was referred to GY by a long term customer, I cannot tell how GY handles normal walk-in customers (some people say that GY also outsources during peak seasons for ordinary walk-in customers). GY gets my fit better than Chan even upon the first fitting (i.e. before the si-fu starts to make any adjustments).

GY have both himself and the in-house si-fu attending to all my fittings - so, they can quickly identify places that need to be adjusted. For Chan, if you are important or "troublesome" enough (e.g. bringing a gang of sartorial folks with you to attend the fitting), you will get "special service" where Patrick and the si-fu's will attend to you in person - resulting in better experience and better output. Well...

I think the price of GY is on par or slightly higher than Chan - and it takes longer for GY from initial measurement to end product. However, GY accepts CMT (at least when you got referral by an existing customer), while Chan does not... Still, I think GY's CMT price is the most expensive among all HK tailors (well, I need to disclaim that I have not checked all HK tailors, e.g. AMHC).

(I still want to find time to take some photos of my GY jacket and my Chan suit... both using LP Summertime fabrics. However, I'm too busy/lazy...)

8. AbsoluteStyle

Awesome reply brother. Assuming the fit and style are the same, how would you compare the actual construction and quality?

And how much does GY charge for CMT for a 2 piece suit? Cheers!!!

9. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

Hello - been using WW Chan the past 5 years or so, but havent commissioned anythign new in a while. i understand prices have gone up for most tailors - have chans increased significantly? also - does anyone have experience with cad and dandy or suit supply as an alternative for day to day suits? or any other HK tailors?
    i am using ascot chang and lee baron for shirts - having decent results from both