1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

Ordered a suit in early June and was told that I wouldn't receive it until September.

2. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

typically around three months.

3. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

[​IMG] They made me a suit in a week last time I was in HK. Is there anyway to get it faster?

4. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

The way they organize orders from their trunk shows is significantly different from the orders they take directly in their shop. I've been seeing them in NYC for the past 4 years and my orders have always taken around 3 months to receive....

5. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

As promised, here are the new pics for the Carlo Barbera jacket and some new Solaro trousers. The back has been cleaned up somewhat but.. I dunno it still isn't perfect. Maybe this has to do with the weight of the fabric? That was @Limniscate's impression, and he took these photos. I will also add that these came out of a suit case, so that affects the drape I'm sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  6. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

Looks very nice! I know we're all chasing perfection, but when noticing slight imperfections in my own items, I'm often consoled by the words of one of my tailors: "it's a cloth, not wood. It moves. Enjoy..."

7. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

I tried to make a joke here involving books of wood but there was no way to do it without sounding dirty.

...Thanks for the compliment!

8. OJonesHK

OJonesHK Member

Does anyone know if Chan have hiked their prices up in the last couple of years?

I've just been quoted quite a bit more for a sports jacket (W Bill Shetland Collection) & 2pc (W Bills Irish Donegals) than I paid for my last 2 pc (Minnis Fresco) 2 years back. I don't think the fabric changes would account for the difference, which seems to be about 50 percent extra.

I'll be in HK in Nov/ Dec for the fittings so their trunk show prices don't apply. However, they quoted in USD, so I'm not sure if theres been some confusion.

Any information would be appreciated!

Cheers

9. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

I mean, the prices are definitely higher than they were 2 years ago. No question. They don't try to conceal that. Pretty sure W Bill costs more than the Minnis Fresco book, took, even when apples to apples.

10. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Got a few suits back from Chan for alteration, and wore one to a wedding this weekend in Ohio. It's important to note that I'm probably 5-10 lbs lighter than I was when the alterations were measured for and 10-15 lbs lighter than when I commissioned the suit originally, so some of the issues are bound to be related to that.

The back continues to be confounding - it's a pretty lightweight (9oz?) Dugdale so I know it will never drape like a 12 ounce worsted or a 16 ounce flannel. But I live in Texas, after all, and lightweight is the name of the game.

Of particular concern are the sleeves - there are some other photos from the night where arms look like they are swimming in fabric. Is this something I should work to alter or is it just something I am going to have to live with if I am going to be this weight?

Pics below:

Front
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

Awkward selfie in a mirror at an ice cream shop
    [​IMG]

As an FYI, shirt is CEGO, tie is Hober, and shoes are EG Cadogan on the 202.

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

It seems the dropped shoulder was hard for them to fully address. The front, though, looks great.

12. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

13. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

14. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Lightweight fabric and grey color is the worst combination for showing fitting flaws, and I don't really think one can expect a tailor like Chan to churn out clean backs regardless. The only well-fitting light grey back I think I've ever seen was Jeffery D. I used to canvas the back of my sleeves to smooth out the ripples, it actually worked quite well, you might consider doing that yourself.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Just curious why you think it's not realistic to expect a clean back from Chan?

16. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I've had a few suits made by them, even in 16 oz, fitted in HK, and they're not perfectly clean. They're better than the OP's but not what I think one deserves with the price point. That being said, I've never had a clean back, even from SR, so I've come to the conclusion that it's simply not commercially available in this day and age.

17. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I have had rather good experiences with Chan wrt. getting the back clean. If not at the first attempt than Chan got it after an additional fix. Maybe I simply have an "easy to cut" back :)

Also, I would be careful with judging the garment based on (self-made) photos. Flashlight or bad lighting and resulting shadows can exaggerate small imperfections quite a bit.

18. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Part of this is because I've changed size so much and this is an altered garment... I'm doing an NSM jacket and look forward to seeing how that back looks. I don't think I could take the heat of canvas on the back, since I live in Dallas now and lightweight is the name of the game - hence the lightweight Dugdale and quarter lining in the jacket.

19. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Anyone received their jackets from Chan's summer US tour yet? I have a 22oz dugdale peacoat coming

20. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior member

I ordered in late July and don't expect my jackets until November...