1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I've found Chan fairly consistent on the big points but often with small variations that require correction. I've had pants cut a bit large or long, slight differences in the openness of quarters, and once a fair amount of extra padding added to a jacket's shoulders. Having said that, I think being in HK leads to a better and more consistent product, and I try to do fittings whenever possible. For a DB, I would definitely want to do fittings.

2. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

You mean they've even nailed down your sleeve length so exact? Are the sleeve buttons punched, too, or do you not get working buttonholes, in the event you need a sleeve lengthened/shortened?

3. johanm

johanm Senior member

Mr Pink - maybe I've just been (extraordinarily) lucky or maybe my pattern is more conducive to reproduction. Also I don't have the shoulder padding variable to worry about.

Dan'l - yes, the sleeves are as exact as everything else, and have working buttonholes.

4. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I imagine I have been unlucky. The suit with the extra padding also arrived with pants on which the left side had forward pleats as ordered while the right had reverse pleats. Certainly the worst mistake I've had from Chan--but one they corrected without quibble.

5. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

That's an interesting screw-up. Hope you grabbed a picture of yourself in it. They paid for return?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

My wife has accompanied me at several occasions and also had a business suit (with fittings in Hong Kong) and several shirts made. I would disagree with an earlier comment that the W.W. Chan ladies department is not good in getting business suits / shirts for women right - those of my wife look perfect and hold out very well!

7. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Forgot to take pictures, and they did not pay for my cost to post the pants to them. I felt they should have but it wasn't worth the argument.

8. Digger CT

Digger CT Member

I'm seeing Patrick next week in New York to get my first Chan commission. I emailed them about Lesser fabric, specifically the 8/9oz tropical weight. They replied that they don't carry that book but carry 9.5/10oz super 120's bunch, 11/12oz and 13oz. Does anybody have an idea why they might not carry that one specific book?

I had my heart set on that fabric given the positive reviews found here on SF combined with my tendency to run warm.

Any other fabric suggestions for a workhorse tropical weight suit? Other than Minnis Fresco (which I am currently having made up by NSM).

9. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

if you know the fabric and the serial I am sure Chan will be able to order it in for you. It's probably impossible for them carry too many books when they are travelling. Their cloth selection in store is pretty impressive,

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Patrick is rather high on Harrison's Frontier. Although it's a 300g fabric, it's quite an open weave, and I have worn it with reasonable comfort in extremely hot weather (100F). VBC Super 140 is also a nice summer fabric and less expensive than most of Chan's other options.

11. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I read some negative comments regarding Frontier in the "Unfunded Liabilities" thread (i.e. lifeless, limp). I wonder what explains the differences in opinion? Or does it really just come down to personal preference?

12. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

They have the book at their store in Hong Kong. I looked at it in January when I was there. And Chan will get fabric from any merchant they deal with. If you really want the Lesser tropical, you could have Harrison's send you a swatches to pick from then tell Chan what you want.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, I have two suits from Harrison's Frontier, and I find them perfectly satisfactory, but maybe I'm just easily satisfied. If Frontier is "lifeless," what, then, would constitute a "lively" fabric?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Given the tight time constraints Digger CT is operating under, wouldn't it be much quicker and easier for him to visit Harrisons of Edinburgh's website and jot down the number of the fabric from the Lesser #306 collection that appeals most to him?

15. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I neglected the timing issue as I won't see Patrick until April 3. Nevertheless, I find it really hard to judge fabrics by Harrison's website. One of the things I've done with Patrick is place an order during his visit but tell him I'll give a final choice on the fabric a week or so later. Digger could try that while waiting for swatches to arrive.

16. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I agree that the adjectives were, at least for me, less than helpful. But beginning with this post, there were some others who chimed in about Frontier:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/56404/unfunded-liabilities-a-k-a-the-cloth-thread/5670#post_6208949

17. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I scheduled an appointment with WW Chan in Hong Kong in May. This will be my first time commissioning something from Chan and after reading so much about Patrick's expertise, I requested that I be attended to by him. Fiona just replied that he will be on holiday during my visit.

Is there another fitter who you guys would recommend? Or should I skip Chan on this visit to HK and perhaps try again, either during one of their tours or the next time I am in HK (I generally visit once a year)? If it makes any difference, I was considering commissioning either a DB blazer & trousers or a SB suit from them.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

If you know about the process and has detailed experience, such as places where extra cautions are needed. Any junior cutter will do the job just as good as Patrick.

19. wmb

wmb Senior member

You hear so much about Patrick on SF because he goes on Chan's tours to the US. I am sure there are comparable fitters in Hong Kong.

20. johanm

johanm Senior member

Personally I would pass on Chan if I wasn't getting fitted by Patrick. The fitter / cutter is the difference-maker in the bespoke process, and Patrick is very knowledgeable and skilled and understands the bespoke terminology/concepts/trends discussed on Styleforum. Also I have been unimpressed by the non-Patrick stuff I've seen posted online.

1 person likes this.