1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. johanm

johanm Senior member

Smith Woollens is awesome. They came onto my radar as a result of Michael Alden's raving about them on the London Lounge. Love their Botany line in particular due to (i) a wide range of beautiful grey sharkskins and non-navy blues, and (ii) a selection of plain weaves that are highly breathable while maintaining the strengths of 13 oz fabric.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

For those kinds of cloths I do prefer H Lesser though. You can deal direct with Smiths I believe. Is anyone a Taylor and Lodge fan? They are really nice but very much under the radar.

3. johanm

johanm Senior member

I like Lesser 13 oz too, but Smith's Botany book excels in the areas I noted above - non-navy blues/grey sharkskins, and breathable plain weave fabrics - in terms of both breadth and quality of options. Lesser 13 oz is better for twills, nailhead, and birdseye IMO.

1 person likes this.
  4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

My dad is a great fan, they do beautiful super numbers, luxurious british finish.

Some of their range are very expensive, even for the bigtimers here.

TBH, Fintex of London is the real under-rate,I thought their finish and stiffness will be phrased in here.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well a lot of people mark up fabric which makes fabrics like that prohibitive. I've never seen the point in that, I just figure I make money on suits and why not use a good cloth if I can? The Golden bale runs at $250 a yard to me so it's quite pricey but imagine if I marked that up by a factor of 3? Then it becomes very expensive to the end client. I expect to spend $500 on an entry level cloth and that's what the client pays. For Golden bale they may spend an extra $500 but it's not completely crazy.

I agree about the twills Lesser does them great. Fantastic for trousers.

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Well, only the educated gents will appreciate the beauty of golden bale, I think the price you mentioned are very reasonable. I am sure as a distinguished tailor like you, some customers will be happy to go the extra mile. What is your opinion on Reid & Taylor? Apparently that was the gold standard brand back in my dad's age, is it true?

7. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

I stand corrected. I retain my original excitement.

8. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

Does anyone have any tips on getting in touch with chan? I have had no luck getting a return email regarding my inquiry into a meeting on the 22nd of this month even though I have sent several emails.

9. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

Send the message from another email address. I had an issue with email getting caught in a spam filter. I contacted them from another address and they added me to their white-list.

Or you could simply phone them.
    Hong Kong Shop
    A2, 2/F., Burlington House, 94 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
    Phone : (852) 2366 9738, 2366 2634 Fax : (852) 2368 2194
    Email: sales @ wwchan.com

10. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

11. Touching Cloth

Touching Cloth Active Member

For those of you that have gone through the traveling hotel measurement, how would you rate the fabric selection? Many? Varied? I've signed up for their upcoming tour and am looking forward to the experience.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Off the top of my head, I'd estimate they have the swatch books for somewhere between 50 and 70 suiting and jacketing collections. in addition, if you know the number of a cloth you want (from one of the fabric houses they deal with anyway), you can order that. For example, on the July 2010 tour, I wanted to get a blue Donegal tweed from the Porter & Harding Thornproof collection. They didn't have the Thornproof book with them, but since I knew the fabric number, they were able to give me a price on the spot, and I was able to go ahead and place my order.

I won't be seeing Chan on this tour, but I'd be interested to know what their current price is for a 2-piece suit from VBC Super 110. That seems to be about the low-end, price-wise, of the suitings they use...and a perfectly acceptable suiting if you want a 9-ounce worsted, I have found.

13. johanm

johanm Senior member

Pic of a new Chan suit jacket, just delivered:

[​IMG]

The pattern is the same as the suits I posted earlier in this thread, except I requested the waist be nipped about 1/2 inch on both sides. Also lost some weight but left the shoulder measurement intact, so this is an example of slight "extension" on completely unpadded shoulders. Fabric is Lesser 13 oz navy.

1 person likes this.
  14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Shirtsleeves look a little short.^^^

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I trust that you specified that you wanted a jacket in the short, contemporary style and that this is not Chan's new default cut!

16. johanm

johanm Senior member

I definitely do prefer a short jacket but would note that the jacket covers my ass and I have long arms which may make it seem shorter in a photo. As for their default cut, my recent jackets have been done in what Patrick calls their "soft shoulders" house style, though I specified no shoulder padding.

17. Touching Cloth

Touching Cloth Active Member

Very nice. I like and will be using as reference.
    Separate question, does one normally attend these hotel fittings alone, or would it not be unusual to bring along a lady friend, for example, as a second set of eyes?

18. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Anyone have recent pictures of something double-breasted that WW Chan has made? I went through this thread (OK, just half of it) but only saw SB suits and sport coats.

19. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Scroll through the blogs for the Armoury guys, Ethandesu and Alan See. They have lots of good pics of Chan DBs.

20. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Yes, I agree, though I was hoping for some "real world" pics of Chan DBs. The Armoury guys look perfect in almost every shot, plus they are local and have the opportunity of fine-tuning their patterns. I wonder how the DB stuff turns out when one has only one visit in HK or only deals with Chan when they are on tour.