1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I customarily address him in a respectful manner as "Mr. Chu." In any event, I thought "Patty" was a girl's nickname, the diminutives of Patrick being "Pat" or "Paddy."

2. vinveritas

vinveritas Well-Known Member

I suggest the OP post clear pictures of the back. From the looks of it the OP may have prescribed a slim fit which may account for the flaring vents.

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I have flaring vents? The devil you say.

4. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

Regarding your question: The flaring of the vents could be something to be improved. It might also simply be a result of your pose trying to make a picture of yourself. I think the suit is already so good, that any suggestions for further improvement (which always is possible) would require much better pictures.

On a site note: After seeing all the catastrophic results of first bespoke/mtm experiences, which get posted here frequently, it is nice to see a first custom suit which turned out so well. More reason to spend a few bucks more on Chan and avoid the cheaper no-name options in Hong Kong.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  5. vinveritas

Haha sorry VG, I was referring to Jsoftz. A bit absent-minded there.

6. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Well-Known Member

Thanks! Although the compliment is more for Chan and less for me. I did try to choose the most neutral possible choice available.. single breasted 2 button navy suit for my first commission to simplify things.

I think the vents do flare a bit as I have noticed that in passing before. I asked for a slim/close fit and used a picture of a Chan suit I dug up somewhere that was navy with peak lapels to demonstrate the fit. I will work with Patrick to fix that part.

7. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Will Chan do an overcoat commission during their NYC visit this November?

8. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

They usually have Minnis, Harrison's and W. Bill overcoat fabrics on the tour. Maybe some others that I don't recall.

9. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks! I sent them an e-mail to make an appointment. Any specific recommendations for fabric? I've never had an overcoat made before and I'm looking for something warm to wear in sub-zero (C) temperatures.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  10. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I have had a 20+ oz DB Minnis made by Chan. Great material. When subzero the windchill can cut through the back if you are not wearing something substantial underneath.

11. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Any photos of Chan overcoats? I've found one which hooked me to going with Chan for an overcoat, but would definitely like to see more in the wild.

[​IMG]

12. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  13. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Well-Known Member

Just made my appointment for the Houston trip the day before Thanksgiving. Excited!

Thinking of doing a H&S Crispaire navy blazer, some "dress" chinos and maybe one other jacket.. Something in a grey patterned worsted or a blue donegal. Not sure.

14. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

I tried to make an appointment via their webpage but received no reply. Do they reply?

15. JLibourel

Yes, but sometimes they're a little slow about it. I think Patrick Chu is starting his U.S. tour shortly, so it may be too late to reach him via the Hong Kong home base, but you can contact him at his hotel in your city to see if he can fit you in.

16. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

I'm planning on traveling to NYC (I'm in Philadelphia) during his tour time there. I'd appreciate if someone gives me his direct e-mail, if he communicates that way, of course.

17. JLibourel

^Have you heard back from Chan yet? You can make appointments by e-mail with the Hong Kong home base until November 9.

18. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

I haven't heard back, oddly. I'll try them again...

19. vinveritas

20. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

She often takes a few days but I always receive a response from her. I received on yesterday changing my appointment date and location in response to a request I had sent two days earlier.