1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Chan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

By this time, I must have 15 to 20 shirts by Chan, in Thomas Mason and Acorn fabrics. The fit is, as expected, impeccable. They've held up well and, as is to be expected, feel comfortable, but that's partly due to the fabrics. I haven't used Ascot Chang (although before my last visit to Chan, I did consider giving AC a try) or Hemrajani, nor do I have the patience to try my luck with Jantzen.

2. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Chan shirts are really good, well-made with great texture.

3. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

i have read too many horror stories about jentzen, i'm hopeful chan can make a good shirt. i have half a dozen SO's at this point, but there is no progression or development in terms of fit..
    he seems to feel he's nailed the fit on the first shirt and doesnt seem keen to make adjustments..so i'll definaly try Chan and may try another london maker

4. JulianL

JulianL Well-Known Member

Lovelux2010,

Sorry for a brief diversion off the topic but you said in an earlier post "... O'Flynn but i need to find a cheaper alternative as i cannot afford to keep dishing out 180ish pounds for shirts." and also say in your most recent post ...

I assume that "SO" in the quote above also refers to Sean O'Flynn.

Maybe I'm mis-reading what you said about the fit and SO'F's attitude to it, but I read the above as maybe expressing some level of dissatisfaction with SO'F beyond just the price. Would I be correct?

I ask because I am looking for a shirtmaker in London (for casual shirts not business shirts) and Sean O'Flynn was on my shortlist to talk to. It sounds as if I should consider Chan as well but, living in London, local options are so convenient that I have some issues going with a visiting service especially when going for casual shirts where I might want to experiment with fabrics, collar shape, collar and cuff stiffness, etc.

Although I am prepared to pay £180 per shirt I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to find a cheaper quality option so I'd be very interested to hear what other london maker(s) you are considering.

- Julian

5. lovelux2010

hello.. i do indeed wish to find a cheaper alternative for work shirts. i do not mind to pay 180pounds for some of my shirt wardrobe...but for day-to-day shirts a heaper alternative would be nice. as far as the O'Flynn experience, I think he has made me a well fitting shirt - certainly fits much better then any readty to wear shirt as you would expect. perhaps my shirt fits marvellously well and does not need any further adjustments – the truth is I do not have enough experience with bespoke to give an opinion. so, i am not dissatisfied with o'flynn..he is very nice to work with and I am pleased with my shirt. However, after reading through many posts on SF – I stumbled upon Vox’s experience with Dege and Skinner. It seems his shirts have evolved from the first shirt to subsequent shirts. Its seems Dege is always taking measurements and looking to improve upon the fit. With Sean, like I said, he thinks the shirt looks great and needs no further adjustments – he may be absolutely correct. Unfotunately the only way I can be sure is by trying other shirtmakers and by not remaining faithful to any 1 shirtmaker. I have seen threads of people having an A&S suit, Huntsman, etc and showing how they compare. I suppose that is the only way to judge who is the best tailor for an individuals body. I would like to try Charvet, Dege and Skinner, WW Chan, etc for shits – but for now I will stay with O’Flynn and try Chan, and perhaps look to try another London maker down the road.. EDIT: TO BE CLEAR: I am happy with O’Flynns shirts, I am just curious to see if I could have better results with other makes (although it is possible my O’’Flynn will be the best shirt I will ever have). I do not have the experience of some of the others on LL and SF – so I would encourage you to try O’Flynn and many other makers and let us know whom you feel produces the best shirt for you. I know Sean produces shirts for Huntsman, some PS customers and others so he is very well regarded among the industry

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. JulianL

JulianL Well-Known Member

Thank you Lovelux2010 for taking the time to give me that very clear and precise reply. I have zero experience of bespoke shirts and it is quite possible that, like you, I might want to see what else is out there after I have at least partially found my feet but it's good to hear that Sean isn't someone that I need to cross off my list for my first steps.

Since I am so new to this, and casual shirts and fabric selection probably require a bit more discussion and understanding between client and shirt maker than business stuff, I currently have Sean at the top of my list because (a) he is a one man band, (b) he is fairly local to me, (c) he seems to be highly thought of, (d) by many accounts (including yours just now) he is nice to work with, and (e) the fact that he also makes women's shirts implies to me that he isn't only capable and happy when cutting mens business and formal shirts. I see no reason to change my assessment at this time, now all I need to do is get on and do something about it.

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with your Chan and any other bespoke shirt adventures.

- Julian

7. lovelux2010

Hi Julian – I do believe Sean is considered to be one of the top 3 London shirtmakers, and my understanding is he makes shirts for N&L, Huntsman, Paul Smith’s clients on occasion). The workshop is down below and he is more then happy to take you down there and show you the shirts being made. I did a lot of research on SF, AAAC and the LL before choosing Sean – and he is highly spoken of across the forums along with Dege and Skinner. Also, I have visited Mr. O’Flynn wearing an OTR suit. This may sound strange, but perhaps when I have some respectable bespoke suits made he may have some further adjustments to make on my shirts (or maybe not..). good luck with your shirts - do let us know how you get on!

8. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

This sport coat is by Chan, it's a green herringbone Donegal from the same W. Bill book as the tan one:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: Lovelux2010, what'd you end up doing?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    2 people like this.
  9. comrade

comrade Senior member

Looking Good, Mark.

1 person likes this.
  10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Very nice!

11. lovelux2010

Edit: Lovelux2010, what'd you end up doing?[/quote]

your jacket looks great.

i met with Chan, will have some shirts, odd trousers, odd jackets and a suit made up to start...
    i will let you all know how it goes, but will depend on how fast i can make it out o HK

12. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

Did you change your specs from your previous orders? Looks like the shoulders are more padded and the jacket is longer overall.

13. emptym

Thanks guys. Nope, no change to specs from the brown coat, except that this time I asked again for a little belly in the lapels and slightly more rounded quarters. Patrick asked if I wanted to try more rounded pockets and I said yes. I think the waist should be let out a bit since the vents are flaring. But the shoulders are the same (unpadded) and the jacket is of the same length. Funny you should ask about that in particular, since when wearing it, the brown coat feels a little shorter and w/ broader shoulders.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

Oh I didn't see the brown coat, I was referring to the Breanish and Finmeresco ones you posted a while ago. Something about the shoulders on the new coats looks different, kind of a concave effect near the armhole. Also they look longer, and the vents are kicking out on both. Could just be camera effects.

15. emptym

Ah, I see. The shoulders are a little different. The shoulders themselves may be a touch wider on these two recent coats. But what is definitely different is that the sleeveheads on the two newer ones have a slightly heavier wadding, I think (if that's the correct term), but still no roping.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  16. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Love the lapels.

1 person likes this.
  17. johanm

johanm Senior member

Here are some pics of a 2 suits that arrived from HK today. Both are in Harrisons fine classics, 2-button, side vent, no shoulder padding. The trousers are from a previous Chan order and made out of the same medium grey as the grey suit. Both jackets came with matching trousers but I didn't bother putting them on.

Please excuse the wrinkles, as they are straight out of the fedex box. Also, the navy suit was showing up too dark in my iphone photos, so I used a rudimentary Photoshop- type app to increase the brightness.

These were ordered by email, with the exact same measurements as the blazer that I ordered on tour and posted about in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/266873/please-critique-my-new-navy-blazer-from-ww-chan .

Just for context, I'm about 6'1", 200 lbs, 37-38" waist. I wear a 44R/44L in RTW.

Would be interested in your thoughts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

The jackets can be longer.

19. johanm

johanm Senior member

That's what a lot of people said in the other thread, but I've always been a fan of shorter jackets. Both of these fully cover my ass.

20. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

I was just saying..I like shorter jackets, too.