• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beedub

Reaction score
I'll just say... As a stockier/sturdier/thicker/broader/etc. built person, I appreciate the loose fits. I've never been able to fit into slimmer fitting clothing (even though pretended I could).

This.

I struggle to fit into a lot of what several Japanese brands that I really like put out (Undercover, Soloist, Wacko Maria) but there’s often stuff by those brands that is cut bigger or oversized that works for me, so I buy that. I can appreciate that it’s frustrating for some people on here who struggle to find the right size in EG, for them season after season, particularly the smaller guys, but can't help feeling that if that’s the case then maybe the brand just isn’t right for you and you need to look elsewhere.

I’m also going to echo what someone else has said in here- I’ve rarely had any issues buying my regular size in EG, sometimes sizing up for a desired fit but never down.

So basically- Trust Daiki, Daiki KNOWS.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@whereeaglesdare
I meant size 36 in most sport jacket type things like the Bedford, but thanks.
Also, I agree with you on your points about change being a natural part of the artistic path but I just wish I knew what my size is now. If my small is now the equivalent to an XS then I’ll just order that. Not really into sizing up on jackets. I’ll just have to try one of the new ones at some point from a place with a good return policy.

cbusguy

Reaction score
@whereeaglesdare I guess what I was trying to get across wasn't clear. I don’t know if there are any brands that produce exactly same thing year after year. I should have provided some examples. I was talking about things like the Barbour Bedale, Levi’s Type-3 Trucker, Alpha Industires Ma-1, Schott Perfecto, Mackintosh Dunoon, Private White V.C. Twin Track, Inverallan 6a sweater and there are more that could be listed. Mostly items from what people would call heritage brands. Yes, there are changes. But, to me, that is the exact same thing. I can buy the same model every season. Engineered garments even has the workaday line that is very similar season to season. People get upset if you change, others get upset if you don’t.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt: SS19 CL Workshirt
Belt: EG x Whitehouse Cox (personal mod)
Pants: 80’s OG107 (has zipper) fatigues

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
This.

I struggle to fit into a lot of what several Japanese brands that I really like put out (Undercover, Soloist, Wacko Maria) but there’s often stuff by those brands that is cut bigger or oversized that works for me, so I buy that. I can appreciate that it’s frustrating for some people on here who struggle to find the right size in EG, for them season after season, particularly the smaller guys, but can't help feeling that if that’s the case then maybe the brand just isn’t right for you and you need to look elsewhere.

I’m also going to echo what someone else has said in here- I’ve rarely had any issues buying my regular size in EG, sometimes sizing up for a desired fit but never down.

So basically- Trust Daiki, Daiki KNOWS.

As someone who is smaller (5'7" 140 lbs), one of the reasons I became interested in Japanese clothes was because I felt they fit me much better than clothes originating elsewhere. I've historically had good luck buying EG in my normal size (S), but lately I've found an XS is a more appropriate size. This is okay, but a problem is that Nepenthes NY is virtually the only stockist carrying XS and they typically sell out of XS quickly. I just want my EG jawnz like everybody else and it's a little hard right now :(

blue peter

Reaction score
For all the angst about pricing, here is something I think we can all agree is good value for money - the EGxBarbour highland park fetched a cool G at NNY and the one I just purchased from TBB was $527, free shipping...what an amazing parka. I think one could quite literally live in this jacket. Create a lean-to and pass the winter in Siberia type heavy duty - I think someone else mentioned this, but the jacket is HEAVY, substantial, loads o pockets, beautiful inner lining, etc etc. The parka to end all parkas imho...now about the periodic re-waxing....

blue peter

Reaction score
Also, I’m usually a daiki knows best type but I have to agree, the fit on the patchwork Bedfords seems a tad off to me, also. I’d chock it up to the intricate paneled construction?? No se, keine anung. My typical daiki knows best large fit a little shorter in the sleeves and the shoulders a tad wide, the arm holes were too large. The non patchwork makeups might have fit “more normal”...didn’t try them on. Painter pants size is M and I vacílate between M and L depending on season and makeup. Loose fit but not overly baggy in the rear end as I found the ss19 patch fatigues to fit...sold out in M bit snagged them from Haven. Super impressive all around offering. The winter over-vests are beauties - the new fowl vest thingy with the extendable skirt is amazing...sorry for the stream of consciousness - just got back from my too-infrequent- pilgrimage to NNY

Beedub

Reaction score
one of the reasons I became interested in Japanese clothes was because I felt they fit me much better than clothes originating elsewhere.

Not really relevant, but I’ve never really known whether to think of EG as American or Japanese (or both)? Obviously Daiki and Nepenthes are Japanese but then the US production, which is a pretty big deal with EG being made just round the corner from NNY always made me unsure of that. Plus NNY always seems pretty important in terms of info, promotion etc. (Lookbooks) but then maybe that’s because I’m a westerner, posting here on a forum with predominantly western users? So is EG American or Japanese?

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a hybrid man. A reinterpretation of classic American designers by a Japanese designer living in America, through a Japanese company, assisted my an American (Angelo), with American production.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is okay, but a problem is that Nepenthes NY is virtually the only stockist carrying XS and they typically sell out of XS quickly.
We do and always have offered XS in every article each season since we started selling the brand in 2004. We've got some now from this season and some from previous seasons if anyone's interested.

0ldb0y

Reaction score
^ Yup. I'd classify EG as a Japanese American brand even though some would argue it's American since production is manufactured in the USA.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, you wouldn't call The GAP a Chinese brand even though it's probably all made in China (or Vietnam, wherever)

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
We do and always have offered XS in every article each season since we started selling the brand in 2004. We've got some now from this season and some from previous seasons if anyone's interested.

About two years ago I bought a beautiful spring EG olive overshirt in XS from you Gary. It was probably one of my favorite pieces I've ever owned. I took it with me to Barcelona and on the way back ran into some bad weather and ended up missing my last flight, ironically in Boston. I rescheduled my flight for the next day and in a delirious mood left the overshirt in a Lyft to the hotel that night. I'm still bitter about that LOL.

Can you please post this seasons stock or is it in the FW19 thread? :)

Beedub

Reaction score
It’s a hybrid man. A reinterpretation of classic American designers by a Japanese designer living in America, through a Japanese company, assisted my an American (Angelo), with American production.

Didn’t Angelo just leave?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads