• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramdomthought

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like a good lookbook as much as the next guy, but it's 88 degrees today, I'm sunburned, I unpacked all my summer clothes like 3 weeks ago.. yet right now stores are trying to sell me beanies and cord jackets. I'm a few more days of getting sunburned away from being ready for FW, so now would be a great time to release a FW21 lookbook, not SS22.

who cares. look at the lookbook if you want to, don't if you don't. it's content you need to actively seek out, it's not like it's thrown in your face or even meant for you as the end-consumer at this point in time. bizarre to spend any length of time commenting on the release date for the book intended to help buyers

pith helmets are pretty gross. micro ripstop waders in 46 and the leopard longcoat in 45 are insane. Not much in the way of new shapes here, though feels like a strong evolution of what's been around since ss20. Nice looking pieces overall, and another interesting season.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
Does anybody else feel that lookbooks released a year in advance is too soon? The first arrivals for FW21 are hitting stores in the past week, and now I'm getting thrown SS22 in my face. I don't even want to look at it until January or February tbh

It's more for the buyers. They are doing the SS 22 orders right now. Technically it's six months away. The season will start dropping in late Dec / early Jan.

innerpiece

Reaction score
Man if only those Suicokes’ comfort matched how good they look

Also, these specific Suicokes are suuuper narrow and somehow small while still bubbly. You can see in the picture how the dude is basically trying to balance himself. I don't have them but I've tried them on and would not recommend. Get some Hoka slides instead.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's more for the buyers.

This makes sense. It’s also interesting because stores seem to say (and I could be wrong) that the most plain staple pieces sell more than the really out there stuff — yet these kind of look books, according to people like Ralph Lauren, are exaggerated and showcase more the spirit of a brand rather than reflect how most people will actually wear it.

So I wonder how store buyers respond to these kind of things.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E31B2484-000B-4E69-A78B-2D500701BB66.jpeg

Also, totally unrelated, but you think a tailor could shorten the height of a this hat? It’s such a cool assortment of fabrics…but the height just looks bad on me, I think.

(“Hey guys, who lies more — men or women?”)

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is the defining style of EG bucket hats. I would lean into the style. You are likely to get used to it. Also, look at examples on the web of how people wear them (how they perch it on their head). I am not a hat guy, but I have seen the style look very cool on others.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That the defining style of EG bucket hats. I would lean into the style. You are likely to get used to it. Also, look at examples on the web of how people wear them (how they perch it on their head). I am not a hat guy, but I have seen the style look very cool on others.

Yeah, it can look cool on others, but I gained so much weight in the pandemic, I just think it has a different vibe on current me than a model with a chiseled jaw line. I need to lean into reality on this one. :D

blackcheer

Reaction score
Re: staple pieces, I'm not sure if that holds true these days. In the global west, if not elsewhere, retailers that once sold mainly EG basics - I'm thinking of chambray work shirts, olive fatigues and bedfords, to name a few staples - no longer sell EG, like Drinkwaters. While stores that still sell EG seem to focus less on staples and more on having a few select noteworthy items. And then there's TBB, which sells it all

Also fyi, wholesale buyers look at individual articles, whether in person or through a digital or physical catalogue, not just a lookbook

The lookbook is simply an alternative to the runway

This makes sense. It’s also interesting because stores seem to say (and I could be wrong) that the most plain staple pieces sell more than the really out there stuff — yet these kind of look books, according to people like Ralph Lauren, are exaggerated and showcase more the spirit of a brand rather than reflect how most people will actually wear it.

So I wonder how store buyers respond to these kind of things.

blackcheer

Reaction score
This is silly. Who complains about a trailer before the movie comes out? Even if you're not in the mood for that kinda movie in the moment

Does anybody else feel that lookbooks released a year in advance is too soon? The first arrivals for FW21 are hitting stores in the past week, and now I'm getting thrown SS22 in my face. I don't even want to look at it until January or February tbh

innerpiece

Reaction score
For those who haven't read the Vogue blurb:

Engineered Garments is known for marrying utilitarian garments with eye-catching textures and fabrics, and the spring 2022 collection continues this mission. Last season, Daiki Suzuki looked to American classics—think plaids and C.C. Filson jackets—but this time, he was inspired by “the beautiful imagery and vast range of cultures of Africa,” as well as “the work of several brands in the ’80s, including Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch, Ralph Lauren, Willis & Geiger, Ruff Hew, and British Khaki, who drew from African imagery in their collections.”

In 2021, citing a continent of 54 countries as inspiration will feel outdated and trivializing to many. Safaris seem to have guided the silhouettes: jackets and vests with ample pockets, jumpsuits in khaki and brown plaid, and cargo pants. Some of the prints were a bit too on the nose, such as the cheetah-spotted windbreakers and the many giraffes that appeared throughout the collection. But more concerning was a blue and yellow motif closely resembling the Ghanaian textile kente cloth; Suzuki is a Japanese designer, and it could come across as culturally appropriative. Meanwhile, the decision to style some of the looks with pith helmets, a hat that’s become increasingly controversial due to its association with European colonizers, felt legitimately tone-deaf.

Suzuki said his goal was to “[highlight] the need to restore [Africa’s] wilderness to help stabilize the global ecosystem,” and the profits from the stuffed animals featured in the lookbook will be donated to help “make clean water wells in Africa.” Even so, this collection would have been served by a more specific starting point. For the most part, designers have come to view collections inspired by cultures other than their own as misguided, especially if the clothes weren’t made in collaboration with the artisans or designers who belong to that community. Had Suzuki gone the extra mile to partner with weavers or makers in Africa, this collection may have felt more genuine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads