• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

horryshiet

Reaction score
At 170 cm I consider myself to be a fairly short guy.

The shorter inseams are an absolute boon to me! I love that they’ve gotten shorter. I’ve picked up five pairs of trousers just from SS20 - painters, carlyles, a couple of fatigues and the FA pants. I can get away with not having to tailor or cuff any of my SS20 trousers.

If the trousers for FW20 continue to have shortened inseams, I’ll definitely be buying more!

That said, I haven’t been too happy with the fit of the SS20 shirting. I picked up the BD shirt with the regimental stripes, the brown work shirt and the short collar madras shirt. The BD shirt is not too bad in length, I could definitely swing it. I wouldn’t mind if it was 1.5 cm shorter. The work shirt fits the best out of the bunch. The short collar shirt on the other hand is gigantic! 85 cm back length on my frame looks terrible. It is also a touch too wide in the shoulders.

I’ll be returning the short collar shirt : (

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents in the fit discussion - the short inseam is a definite thing for taller folks. There’s no option but to wear the cropped (sometimes super cropped look) and that’s something I’ve experienced consistently since 2014 seasons. Bagginess comes and goes but inseam is generally short...suppose it makes sense for an Asian market. I’ve oft considered stopping with eg trousers all together as I oscillate between liking the cropped look and wanting a more „traditional“ length...or at least retaining the option to shorten myself.
I hear where you are coming from, but this is such an easy fix for a designer and should not still be an issue.

I mean, how hard is it to leave a large internal cuff? They can have a stock short inseam and leave 3” or so which can be taken out.

Phullyman

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the SS20 sizing. I have 2 of the short sleeve camp collar and they fit a bit oversize but still looks good! I tried on the workshort and like what @horryshiet said, they can be a tiny bit shorter but it looks nice!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I hear where you are coming from, but this is such an easy fix for a designer and should not still be an issue.

I mean, how hard is it to leave a large internal cuff? They can have a stock short inseam and leave 3” or so which can be taken out.
The problem you'll incur with letting down / out anything cotton or linen is the piercing of the fabric from the needle which will never go away and create a railroad track of puncture holes and the original crease will be there permanently. The inseam measurement on all trousers should be a minimum of 34" and "Everyone" should get to know and support a tailor because he/she is there to support how well tailored you are. A style inspiration lost since 1990.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem you'll incur with letting down / out anything cotton or linen is the piercing of the fabric from the needle which will never go away and create a railroad track of puncture holes and the original crease will be there permanently. The inseam measurement on all trousers should be a minimum of 34" and "Everyone" should get to know and support a tailor because he/she is there to support how well tailored you are. A style inspiration lost since 1990.

Once it’s safe to travel to Boston I will 100% be coming in to get some of my stuff tailored and to take a look at your selection :)

blue peter

Reaction score
Like @Drinkwaters says, I’d rather they were longer and needed shortening than short with fabric to let out. I let out a pair of cuffed cinch back trousers from ss16 or so and the crease is there - not so noticeable as they’re dark navy hct but not ideal. I had some wool, cuffed cinch backs let out completely just so they’re long enough to wear to the office...looking at the fw20 preview it “seems” like trousers are longer - “suit” jackets look longer, too, which I’m not mad about

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that leaving an unfinished longer hem is the way to go, except it doesn’t seem like this idea is supported by the mainstream. Most of Margaret Howells mainline pants are this way, and it seems many people return them due to “needing tailoring”.

As for the needle holes, depending on the material yeah it can be an issue. I find many cotton’s are fine after a wash and dry though, but I guess it depends on the exact material.

Dwild

Reaction score
Working from home but still managing to work some EG into the rotation.

DSC_0039.jpg

FW11 Robe in Grey Cotton Dobby

El QUaG

Reaction score
My 2 cents in the fit discussion - the short inseam is a definite thing for taller folks. There’s no option but to wear the cropped (sometimes super cropped look) and that’s something I’ve experienced consistently since 2014 seasons. Bagginess comes and goes but inseam is generally short...suppose it makes sense for an Asian market. I’ve oft considered stopping with eg trousers all together as I oscillate between liking the cropped look and wanting a more „traditional“ length...or at least retaining the option to shorten myself.

You're also quite tall as well, right? Taller than 6 foot? 6'2"?

I am 6' and long legs, and EG pants almost always fit cropped. The only exceptions I have found: Levis x EG selvedge denim and Progressive Clothing Denim, both from 2010 and have a huge inseam.

Saaaantoooos

Reaction score
I just think its a very specific aesthetic. It looks good on people that like the whole oversized everything look, but I don't typically like the more avant garde pieces I guess? I like stuff that is more normal fitting i guess. I think you also have to have a specific body type. It isn't flattering on muscular builds or overweight people.

how bout now

image0.jpg

irithis

Reaction score
hey guys, stumbled upon this thread in my EG discovery... recently got into the brand, and the fatigue pants, andover jacket and pants have already got me hooked! what are some of the staple / key items that you guys would recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads