• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I don't think I have any other pairs of pants like these (fabric style and general cut). And I'll probably end up dry cleaning them as they won't see as much wear as others.

Trying to figure out the right ratio of hem-to-roll for me is always tough. But I think an inch past my normal inseam makes sense. My pants always have a way of slipping down past where I think they should sit. A few more pounds off the scale and I'll have a better chance at keeping them where I want. :)

Much appreciated, as always.

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
Pulled one straight out of the Gary Drinkwater playbook on this rainy day. Maybe it IS the beard that takes the EG uniform of chambray + fatigues to the next level, which @where it went is further reinforcing with his recent fits. Too bad I can't grow one either :(

9a7uzu9y.jpg

Potato quality pic as usual. I can never get the right lighting in here...

Oh yeah, I FINALLY made the switch to Workaday fatigues. These things are so comfy. And they don't show how skinny my legs really are like the mainline ones do.

Shoutout to @Drinkwaters on the store's 10 year anniversary!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mbaum

Reaction score
@AlexanderTG We have discussed the differences in fatigues a few pages back in the SS14 EG threat. Net net:
  • Fabric choices (e.g. SS mainline this year is ripstop, olive in Workday lighter reveresed sateen )
  • Bagginess (Workaday ~half an inch bigger in the thigh, 0.25" in the hem)
  • Length (Workaday is ~1" longer but SS was slightly cropped for fatigues)

On the USN: I would tailor to your regular pant length (e.g. trust your good tailor on the right break with the shoes you would normally wear them). If you go regular break, then two rolls - pinched or not - will look good for the look where you want to show some skin/ ankle. I personally have them hemmed just a tad higher (Still a break but less than full, more than none) for a slightly higher/ more cropped look when rolled once or twice (Which for me is 32" exactly).

@CSCoHammers7 looks very good - What jacket is that?

Mike

Where It Went

Reaction score
had some odd weather last night. varying chilliness and rain led to some actual layers when grabbing dinner with some friends.

art in the age hat
uniqlo t shirt
wallace and barnes for j. crew flannel
EG workaday utility jacket (i love this jacket so much. the mismatched pocket and sleeve are so great)
APC
birks

Knight

Reaction score
Some lovely looks being posted. I love this thread. As most of you are all working on your tans it's winter over here so here's a couple of EG cladded pictures.

Coleman jacket indigo denim
Long bush shirt red navy heavy twill plaid
Hooded down vest olive PC gaberdine
DS scarf grey paisley / glen plaid
USN pant khaki cotton whipcord
Nepenthes socks brown orange melange
Birkenstock taupe suede Boston rough out

Deck jacket navy nyco ripstop
Hooded dickie grey jersey knit
USN jacket OD cavalry twill
Work shirt red orange navy brushed plaid
USN pant indigo denim
Nepenthes socks navy green melange
Birkenstock taupe suede Boston rough out
Needles hunting cap olive

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@mbaum Universal Works Baker Jacket.

iMM24JRl.jpg

(Mine is from a few seasons back though.)

I've tried that jacket on a few times now at your store. Looks great on you...less great on my XL frame.

I really like the UW line. I'd love to see some of their sport coats. Have you guys ever carried them (or have plans to)? Or do they fill a similar slot as EG?

modual

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's any difference fit wise between SS13 and SS14 fatigue shorts ? I tried a pair of SS14 recently and they seemed a bit baggy as well as not having the cinch buttons on the waist which is annoying. I can get hold of a pair of SS13 online and was hoping they maybe a bit slimmer ?

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score

I've tried that jacket on a few times now at your store. Looks great on you...less great on my XL frame.

I really like the UW line. I'd love to see some of their sport coats. Have you guys ever carried them (or have plans to)? Or do they fill a similar slot as EG?

We really like them as well and do a buy from them each season, but they don't seem to get much love around here for some reason. We usually display Universal Works alongside EG as we think the two brands complement each other nicely. EG's audience is huge though, so our selection of UW seems to live in its shadow. Such a shame... Gary and I both have that Baker Jacket from them and we get a ton of use out of it.

I posted a thread for UWSS14 awhile back that went nowhere, but you can check our buys from them HERE. This stuff is all 40-50% off now!

I particularly love this jacket in a ribbed, super lightweight cotton. Earthy tone (it's a bit more taupe in real life) that's gonna go great with EG's SS15 palette, and now only $107.50 after the 50% off!

staTr06l.jpg

And the Angler Vest is pretty easy to incorporate as well

8ww1IAhl.jpg

So yeah, check them out guys. We have a couple great shirts and stuff from them too. Price point is pretty fair well before the drops too.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've liked Universal Works for awhile but similar to Oliver Spencer, I think (1) some of the fits feel "off"--I know we put up with a lot of similar issues from EG so I guess that's a small gripe; and (2) a lot of the designs feel one degree too derivative. Pretty good value, though, and some good looking pieces every season. Plus, David Keyte seems like a good dude.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've liked Universal Works for awhile but similar to Oliver Spencer, I think (1) some of the fits feel "off"--I know we put up with a lot of similar issues from EG so I guess that's a small gripe; and (2) a lot of the designs feel one degree too derivative. Pretty good value, though, and some good looking pieces every season. Plus, David Keyte seems like a good dude.

Agreed with the above. I've got a fair few pieces of UW, including three Baker Jackets. It's very popular in the UK. I don't think the quality quite matches Common People, but it's very decent and slightly less derivative than say Cro'Jack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics