• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Not surprising that I would say this in the EG thread, but EG > ts(S).
I think it really depends on how you evaluate the two brands. I could give a dissertation, but I will simply say, Ts(s) is a higher end version of EG if Daiki never left Japan. There's a lot of similarities between the brothers collections and frankly I think they're complimentary. However, from a pure style and fashion stand-point, the fabrics, silhouettes, and fits on Ts(s) are better than EG. It's also a much more nuanced, specific aesthetic that appeals mostly to Japanese customers. EG has more versatility because it's commercialized, but the whimsy, attention to details, and references all make it interesting.
although I generally like the design of EG’s pieces more, when it comes to construction and fabrics I think Ts(s) is hard to beat.

@BlakeRVA I noticed in your video you said you are moving away from the EG aesthetic. Is it the looser fits of current seasons you aren’t feeling? Or do you find your personal style is heading a new direction?
I started wearing EG in 2010 and have largely only bought EG and EG adjacent brands up until recently. After a while, it just felt boring and I was constantly trying to buy something new to keep it interesting. I think if you buy too much of a few brands, your wardrobe looses versatility, so I'm in the process of trying to diversify the brands and styles I have.
Might just be me but I think that ts(s) jumper you tried on at the start would look even better at least one size bigger. Also think the EG looks great on you.
I agree, they unfortunately only had an XS. I think I might end up ordering the same sweater in Size S (one up from what I tried on).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ts(s) makes some cool stuff although I’ll agree a bit more conservative/minimal compared to EG. My big complaint about Ts(s) is it’s so expensive. Not sure if shopping EG and 18east who’s relatively affordable has spoiled me though.

Uh…a cotton shirt jacket (from EG) is now $500. I was all excited to give ts(s) a closer look, until you called that (relatively) reasonable. :lol:

Ts(s) seems cool, but here’s my short dissertation: the Bedford jacket. No one else makes it!

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it really depends on how you evaluate the two brands. I could give a dissertation, but I will simply say, Ts(s) is a higher end version of EG if Daiki never left Japan. There's a lot of similarities between the brothers collections and frankly I think they're complimentary. However, from a pure style and fashion stand-point, the fabrics, silhouettes, and fits on Ts(s) are better than EG. It's also a much more nuanced, specific aesthetic that appeals mostly to Japanese customers. EG has more versatility because it's commercialized, but the whimsy, attention to details, and references all make it interesting.
I disagree with these assessments, but that is what makes a market. I made it through the 10 minute video so hope that exempts me from reading the dissertation.

Also, not sure how EG is commercialized - because it has wider distribution?

@noob in 89 Many former ts(S) stockists bowed out because they could only sell the brand at deep discounts.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I disagree with these assessments, but that is what makes a market. I made it through the 10 minute video so hope that exempts me from reading the dissertation.

Also, not sure how EG is commercialized - because it has wider distribution?
I will reward you for watching the full video with a handwritten dissertation on indigo dip-dyed paper.

On a serious note, which brand is better is subjective. I enjoy ts(s) more, but there's a lot of positive qualities in both brands. Wear what makes you happy ?‍♂️

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really feeling them though I should say I don't care for mules in general.

I think they would work better with EG fits if the sole were a bit thicker. The camp sole may look underwhelming with the layered, fuller cuts of EG clothing.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about the easy mocs having a textile footbed really triggers me. I obviously don't think its a cost issue, but a leather+corkbed liner seems way more sensical given the idea of the shoe (casual, can be worn as a in/out slipper)

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
First and last drop. Call with any questions. Enjoy!

Over Vest / Navy Black Poly Paisley Jacquard / S > L / $365
0339E84E-EB5E-4029-82AE-252096A7233F.jpeg

Crew Neck Cardigan / Grey Poly Wool Paisley Print Knit / XS > L / $390
7EF08543-DE76-4C2A-9F02-FE3E3709FB1B.jpeg

Loiter Jacket / Grey Maroon Poly Wool Glen Plaid / XS > L / $425
A50F1F98-D918-4B99-A5AD-C0C669223DF3.jpeg

Bedford Jacket / Olive Heavyweight Cotton Ripstop / XS > XL / $350
1E5F27F6-FD71-4FD9-BA21-7EFBFED448F8.jpeg

New Bedford / Dark Navy Wool Uniform Serge / XS > XL / $550
F4A1706E-859A-42C8-B17E-672AAA221D05.jpeg

Fatigue Pant / Olive Heavyweight Cotton Ripstop / XS > L / $240
99352A6B-7ED2-484A-A36C-14E7F92951EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Phullyman

Reaction score
Going to NYC this weekend, will most likely stop by Nepenthes, any other store/food recs?

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Dover Street Market - Comme des Garcons, Evan Kinori, Dries van Noten etc.
Mannahatta - Kapital, Ts(s), The Conspires
180 the Store - EG, Cottle, Orslow, lots of up-and-coming designers
Blue in Green - Denim, Monitaly, Sassafras, Kapital, Beams Plus
CHCM - tons of up-and-coming Japanese and European designers. Very unique brand list.
Hatchet Supply - outdoorsy brands - EG, Kaptain Sunshine, Salomon, Gramicci, Nigel Cabourn etc.
M5 Shop - appointment only, Stone Island, Ts(s), Sage de Cret, Nonnative, Veilance

Locals can probably give more recs @Phullyman

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dover Street Market - Comme des Garcons, Evan Kinori, Dries van Noten etc.
Mannahatta - Kapital, Ts(s), The Conspires
180 the Store - EG, Cottle, Orslow, lots of up-and-coming designers
Blue in Green - Denim, Monitaly, Sassafras, Kapital, Beams Plus
CHCM - tons of up-and-coming Japanese and European designers. Very unique brand list.
Hatchet Supply - outdoorsy brands - EG, Kaptain Sunshine, Salomon, Gramicci, Nigel Cabourn etc.
M5 Shop - appointment only, Stone Island, Ts(s), Sage de Cret, Nonnative, Veilance

Locals can probably give more recs @Phullyman
Don’t forget Brunello Cucinelli (SOHO, Madison Ave) and Loro Piana (also Madison).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads