• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JilSlander

Reaction score
^ You sure that's an Engineers Jacket?

I have an exact same one from EG FW12. It's called the Railroader Jacket in 12oz. indigo denim.

Last edited:

Jagger_On

Reaction score

Button Shawl, Peacock Pop Over, Fatigue Pants cut offs, Pescadero, CA

Loving what you did with the button shawl there.

Really like this too. I didn't realise that vest came in olive, I think I prefer that to the navy one I have which I haven't even worn for some reason. Really liked it when I tried it on but for some reason I always end up putting it back in the cupboard and wearing something else. Think I'm preferring the olive one that you have at the moment due to the fact I have so much stuff in navy.

Dino19

Reaction score
Taken while testing out the Needles mismatch vans (laceup + slip-on) idea:

WWM Shirt (Daiki)
Nepenthes NY Vest (3+ years ago)
EG Newport Pants (3+ year ago)
Right Foot = White Vans Laceup
Left Foot = White Vans Slipon
Timpo, what do you think of the mismatch Vans? Do you think it's easy to wear or near impossible? It looks cool on first sight but I'm on the edge.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timpo, what do you think of the mismatch Vans? Do you think it's easy to wear or near impossible? It looks cool on first sight but I'm on the edge. 

Depends on how you style it. Worth going to a Vans store and trying it out in person. It would work well with the actual Needles versions (in those drab colors), but I didn't find a Vans equivalent that would work. You could try dying the white Vans versions to get something sort of equivalent without shelling out too much for the real deal.

Dino19

Reaction score
Depends on how you style it. Worth going to a Vans store and trying it out in person. It would work well with the actual Needles versions (in those drab colors), but I didn't find a Vans equivalent that would work. You could try dying the white Vans versions to get something sort of equivalent without shelling out too much for the real deal.
Thanks for your view. I'm thinking of getting the Needles pair in Khaki. But, my wifey thinks it's over the top, that puts me on the edge. Maybe she's too conservative.

Pratt Kale

Reaction score
I don't have much EG yet. And in late summer you cant really do much layerin either. But its not always about the layering.

FW 12 Shawl collar shirt jacket

SS 12 fairisle beach jersey cotton/linen

SS 13 madras scarf
(WWM SS11 shiprock parka)

FW 12 shirt jacket again.
(PRL cardigan, Haversack shirt)

SS 13 cotton/linen ecru truman pant
(Country rangers, PRL chambray shirt)

Last edited:

Knight

Reaction score

Loving what you did with the button shawl there.
Really like this too. I didn't realise that vest came in olive, I think I prefer that to the navy one I have which I haven't even worn for some reason. Really liked it when I tried it on but for some reason I always end up putting it back in the cupboard and wearing something else. Think I'm preferring the olive one that you have at the moment due to the fact I have so much stuff in navy.

Firstly, Thanks man :) I actually wanted the navy first, then quickly changed to olive. I needed an olive vest and I never looked back :) I have the Aviator jacket from FW12 in the same fabric and I actually wore the vest over it! All the pocketing makes it look quite cool.

Prat you look good man that fair isle cardigan looks awesome -- a piece I'm regretting not getting sadly.

Finally re the mismatch sneaker issue. It's not a trend. People have been doing it for decades. I say go for it and have fun with your wardrobe. At the end of the day if you like it, wear it!! I'm actually ordering the mismatch lace ups myself this FW (olive/khaki combo).

Last edited:

Dino19

Reaction score
Finally re the mismatch sneaker issue. It's not a trend. People have been doing it for decades. I say go for it and have fun with your wardrobe. At the end of the day if you like it, wear it!! I'm actually ordering the mismatch lace ups myself this FW (olive/khaki combo).
Knight, did you order the EG x Vans or Needles mismatch?

Pratt, I like the shawl collar shirt jacket but could manage to down my size then. Sorta regretting it now.

Knight

Reaction score

Knight, did you order the EG x Vans or Needles mismatch?

Pratt, I like the shawl collar shirt jacket but could manage to down my size then. Sorta regretting it now.

I ordered the EGxVans mismatch I missed out in sizes for the needles ones. I was going to buy a green and khaki version and mix them around.

Second Stage Japan feature the needles ones in almost all their styling. If you want to feel inspired I suggest checking their website out.

Dino19

Reaction score
EG x Vans is a same style/design but a mismatch in the material while the Needles' version is a mismatch in style/design (slip-on with lace-up). I have no problem on the EG x Vans but I'm still not sold on the Needles & trying to digest it. Tough decision.

It's my first fit photo in SF. I was rocking my Chambray RR jacket in Tokyo in May during my trip there. A very easy piece to wear.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started at the beginning of this thread and read all the way through. Too bad so many old pics are gone.

Timbo, you're a true EG master.

Someone sell me the argyle bedford in medium pls.

JOA

Reaction score

S/S '09 Popover while swatch browsing. Suit w/ NB was a try-on situation only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads