Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Shingles

Shingles Senior member

Cool and creative thing combining the hooded interliner with the over vest there @eluther. Well executed.

@Knight Those waders are too good.. And that leopard pattern sticking out underneath the jacket is like the icing on the cake. Yeah you should post more often :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

CD, I agree with Mike

top looks good but whole fit could be better with a more contrasting pant and some beefy brogues, imho

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

3. eluther

eluther Senior member

@Cotton Dockers I'd swap out those fatigues for a pair of khakis and keep everything else the same.

@Shingles Thanks, man.

4. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

^ yeah i'd swap out the pants. maybe add a vest if u have one that matches.

5. m4gdelen4

m4gdelen4 Senior member

Need some feedback on this half-fit.

[​IMG]

FW14 Brown antique wool herringbone Andover + White tab collar shirt
    Hill-side selvedge denim tie

Is the tie color too dull? The color-contrast between the jacket and the tie show better in person but was wondering if the solid is too bland.

6. lawlercon

lawlercon Senior member

I think the tie looks good man. Nothing wrong with keeping the same color palette, you could change it up with your pants - but me, I'd probably wear olive cords or something with that. Maybe I'm too uniformed though with my EG looks :p

7. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

I also agree that the combination is good and classic. You just need to get the dimple in the tie beneath the knot.

8. houkah

houkah Well-Known Member

How do you like that jacket? Also how does it fit in comparison to the bedford this season? I have the matching pants which are fantastic and have been mulling if i should complete the suit w/ the jacket. I found the bedford to be a bit short for me this season though...

Oh and i also think the color combination you've got works great.

9. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

I'm quite conflicted. I am wanting to buy a bedford (wool herringbone) or an andover (wool/cashmere) and I don't know which one... I've tried on the bedford and I like it, but haven't had a chance to try on the andover, which I like better based on photos I've seen.

I'm going to be using this more as a fall jacket over sweaters and flannels and such so I think the bedford works better as that. But like I said, I prefer the look of the andover overall.

This is a stupid question I know, but does anyone have both in their closet and they always choose one over the other?

10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions, dudes. If I have some time in the near future I'll try them all out and report back. I really dig this thread.

11. m4gdelen4

m4gdelen4 Senior member

Thank you! I was thinking my EG gray HB jeans for a uniform look, and my olive Highland pants for a more out-there fit.

Thanks. Normally I can dimple my tie no problem, this one is a nightmare! Fabric is too thick and tie is too skinny.

This one is really warm and comfortable. Dunno about this season's bedford but the Andover feels more structured. I don't know how to explain in more technical terms but if you look at photos of both, the Andover comes in tighter in the middle before the EG hip flare. Bedford has less of that tailored feel, but both are pretty comfortable (I have a SS14 Bedford).

12. eluther

eluther Senior member

@ClambakeSkate I can wear a Bedford with almost everything I own. The Andover, for me, makes for a dressier look which isn't something I necessarily want to run to the sandwich joint down the street. The degree of formality can change slightly depending on the materials, obviously, but that's a base line.

Most of the Andovers are also made in a more conspicuous material (brown antique herringbone vs. navy calvary twill, for instance) so they're harder to wear as beater jackets, as well.

That being said, I really like the Andover but it's a more niche use.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

The obvious answer -- and this is style forum, there's always a way -- is to acquire both. (But not at once. Buy one, and let it sap your enthusiasm. Then, when your heart turns white, and doubt rushes to fill the void, give it a nice caulking with that second EG. Your soul will thank you, if not your wallet).

I'm going to agree with eluther on the Bedford, and its sandwich-grabbing properties. I would also stress the idea that while more versatile, the Bedford does have a tendency to look like just clothes. You can't throw it on without some degree of acumen. The Andover, on the other hand, has a more specialized cut, and tends to look balls-out awesome, even on a noob. I wear it less, but I love it more.

Maybe the trick is to find that jackpot Bedford, the one with the trim fit and superior fabrics. I know it's out there. It must be. It's the thought that keeps me going....

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

14. metalleka

metalleka Active Member

^That is a great post dude.

15. eluther

eluther Senior member

@noob filled in the romance my post was lacking – thank you.

I will say, though, that my olive homespun Bedford is my favorite jacket. The texture is ghostface-worthy, the color unlocked unforeseen latent potential in my wardrobe, and the fit borders on platonic, etc. Throwing it on with a t shirt and jeans makes it look like not just clothes – or least not to me. Maybe its greatest power is inducing delusion in its wearer.