• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Off Your Fall Outerwear

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Temps are cooling down, especially at night, to where additional outerwear is needed - at least in Iowa. What is your go-to stay-warm garb for brisk fall evenings before going to all out winter-weather protection? Pictures of yourself sporting said clothing would be supremely helpful.

Thanks!

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Voxsartoria's What Are You Wearing Threads from Winter 08 or 09. He has a damn nice selection outerwear.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
I think this thread was a good idea and I'd like to try to get it going. It's definitely fall now in the city, which is my favorite time of year, by far, from a sartorial perspective---the textures, the colors, the layers, etc. I'd like to expand the thread a bit from the OP's focus on outerwear and include everything great about fall attire--tweed, knitwear, flannels, etc.

Here are a few examples of how I've been doing fall business attire--it's a business casual office in name, but the custom is to keep things a little more formal, which I think is par for the course in New York.

20101018-IMGP0133.jpg

20101018-IMGP0152.jpg

Haven't needed another layer yet, except for on rainy days. Heavier sport coats, oxford cloth, and flannel trousers have been all I need. Looking forward to pulling out some scarves and overcoats though. How are you guys doing fall?

CashmereLover

Reaction score

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
C&J Swansea?

Those (top pic) are Brunswicks.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Those (top pic) are Brunswicks.

I see. I googled Brunswicks but I didn't find them online.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last fitting for a 10x5 peacoat-ish coat by Enzo Caruso made from the LL Etna cashmere:

On the body, and the bottom of the coat needs to be let out a bit because the box pleat is opening:
etna-1.jpg

Turnback cuffs:
etna-1-2.jpg

Slash pockets:
etna-1-3.jpg

How the box pleat should look:
etna-1-4.jpg

Marking up the shape of the collar:
etna-1-5.jpg

Lining is solid purple, and the inside is a work of art. The Etna cashmere is ridiculous: it's like wearing a super soft thick blanket. It should be ready in 2 weeks, and I'll post final pics.

--Andre

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that white pick stitching is a little showy.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleevehead's written a bit about him. He's a tailor who works in Santa Monica.

8 buttons will be visible, and the last 2 will be hidden under the lapels and they let the coat be completely buttoned up.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
All that white pick stitching is a little showy.

I think he uses a machine for them, too.
confused.gif
tinfoil.gif

--Andre

poissa

Reaction score
ay,

that's going to be a work of art. it's coming along wonderfully.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Why do you need a cashmere coat if you live in Southern California???

It's not a peacoat; it's a three-quarter length coat.

(It's nice, though.)

Originally Posted by A Y
Last fitting for a 10x5 peacoat-ish coat by Enzo Caruso made from the LL Etna cashmere:

On the body, and the bottom of the coat needs to be let out a bit because the box pleat is opening:
etna-1.jpg

Turnback cuffs:
etna-1-2.jpg

Slash pockets:
etna-1-3.jpg

How the box pleat should look:
etna-1-4.jpg

Marking up the shape of the collar:
etna-1-5.jpg

Lining is solid purple, and the inside is a work of art. The Etna cashmere is ridiculous: it's like wearing a super soft thick blanket. It should be ready in 2 weeks, and I'll post final pics.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
ay,

that's going to be a work of art. it's coming along wonderfully.

Thanks for the compliments! Hopefully the finished product will live up to them.

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Why do you need a cashmere coat if you live in Southern California???

It's not a peacoat; it's a three-quarter length coat.

How about peacoat-inspired instead?

Originally Posted by vty8686
dang coat in Cali??
Nike hoodie is perfect for winter haha

This is for those times when a hoodie isn't enough. I have two other 3/4 length RTW coats, one in a thick tweed and another in a thick cotton moleskin. There have been many days where a coat over a sweater (or hoodie) with a scarf was necessary, and also for visits to cooler climates. But most of all, because I want one.
smile.gif

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads