• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me your severe silhouette

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what we mean by 'severe'? Some of the suits in this thread seem to have a severe silhouette to me, but most are just examples of structured tailoring, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with silouette in my mind.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
How awsome would that be?

Ron Burgundy did this years ago
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Can someone explain to me what we mean by 'severe'? Some of the suits in this thread seem to have a severe silhouette to me, but most are just examples of structured tailoring, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with silouette in my mind.

I took it to mean structured with more aspects determined by cut and construction rather than by the effect of how the outer layer of cloth conforms intrinsically and by gravity on the body.

In other words, not soft.

- B

literasyme

Reaction score
+1 -- that's what I assumed, too, although in the case of my Ede (thanks, BTW, for the nice comments!), I wish the coat's construction restrained my surplus pounds even more! In a more literal sense, something like the really rather extreme cuts of Whoopee's suits probably fits the "severe" label better.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How awsome would that be?
Well as a tailor you could always make yourself both a pair of pants and a matching skirt. It would make it more versatile. you might have to put special buttons on the jacket, but hey ho. That looks like a triple stripe with an alternating single stripe that has a lozenge superimposed on it at intervals.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Well as a tailor you could always make yourself both a pair of pants and a matching skirt. It would make it more versatile. you might have to put special buttons on the jacket, but hey ho.

That looks like a triple stripe with an alternating single stripe that has a lozenge superimposed on it at intervals.

It's a triple pinstripe with a pin dot. The "lozenge" is actually two pin dots close together at intervals of about an inch. They made this design originally in the 20's. They have all sold out of it now though.....maybe they will bring it back in another 90 years.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I took it to mean structured with more aspects determined by cut and construction rather than by the effect of how the outer layer of cloth conforms intrinsically and by gravity on the body.

In other words, not soft.

Gotcha. But then, wouldn't the standard Alfani or Jos A. Bank suit qualify as 'severe'?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a triple pinstripe with a pin dot. The "lozenge" is actually two pin dots close together at intervals of about an inch. They made this design originally in the 20's. They have all sold out of it now though.....maybe they will bring it back in another 90 years.
What weight would you estimate it at? It would be interesting to see a close up at some point.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But then, wouldn't the standard Alfani or Jos A. Bank suit qualify as 'severe'?
No, those are just boring.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
No, those are just boring.

Sure, but they are not 'soft'. Therefore, they are 'severe' under what appears to be the working definition of the word in this thread.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, but they are not 'soft'. Therefore, they are 'severe' under what appears to be the working definition of the word in this thread.
Then let vox change it so that it is suits that are not soft, and also not boring. Geez, lawyers.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pierre_cardin_pagoda.jpg

From the recent issue of Fantastic Man, ad was from 1979 for Pierre Cardin's pret-a-porter collection (it was part of a section that also had a very good interview with him).

Slightly reminiscient of Daniel Craig wearing his Tom Ford bullshit.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Everyone got it, try to see it as an imprecise zone where it's possible to doubt at the margins and not an operational definition, you'll manage with some intuition.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with you. Rereading the original post, it looks to me like Fuuma got a bunch of non-responsive responses (mine included LOL).

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then let vox change it so that it is suits that are not soft, and also not boring. Geez, lawyers.
He's not being a lawyer, he's just being purposefully, difficult and contradictory without having anything original to add to control the conversation and appear knowledgeable...oh wait, he IS being a lawyer!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads