Show Me Your House, Please?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by CouttsClient, Aug 24, 2011.

Do you give a tour of your home?

1. Yes - I want people to see it

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Yes- I want to make them jealous

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No- I refuse

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. No- People don't visit me

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. I would If I didn't live in this cardboard box

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Do you give one when someone new comes to your house?

Do you ask people for one when you visit?

I'll admit I'm very much into my privacy at home but I find it awkward. A little weird when a friend brings some acquaintance or new bf/gf over

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Sometimes. When some close friends or relatives have visited I'm happy to give a tour. Not like I have strange children locked up in closets. But I don't give it to every visitor. If someone asked I'll give them a brief look see.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

never liked the idea of showing people around my house like its some museum. and I don't like being given the tour also... last time I went to a friend's new place I purposely stayed downstairs and just enjoyed my beer.

4. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Option f: If they seem like they want a tour, I'm happy to give them one. I always remember to include small places like toilets, Supply closets and false doors.

5. rocks

rocks Senior member

I am renting mine now so I gotta show to prospective tenants, otherwise no, not me can't say the same for the lady though, you know how women are.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

It depends. Generally if asked, I show them. That said, this happens mostly with family and long-time friends, and only after we've moved.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I never give a tour if they don't ask. Personally, it seems a bit show-offish to do so if they didn't ask. Of course it's a completely different situation if friends and family come over for the first time to a place I had just recently bought.

If they ask, I'm happy to show them around. I live in a very quaint home, so it doesn't take anymore than 5 minutes. Nothing to ogle over, so it's no big deal.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I never offer, but often people ask for a tour. When they ask, I'll show them the rooms on the ground floor, but I do not take them upstairs to the bedrooms, family room, and office. I never ask for a tour when I visit others, but often one is offered in which case I politely decline but will do so if they insist.

9. CouttsClient

I hate touring someone's home much the same way I hate receiving a gift and having to pretend to be interested

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I'm not really curious to see what others have or how they live. However, I find that some people insist on showing their home off. I go along and feign interest, but hate every single minute of it.

11. otc

otc Senior member

In my 1BR...you gotta be a pretty terrible navigator to need a tour :)

12. CouttsClient

So I guess you chose the "cardboard box" response?

13. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

yeh old friends in a new house - of course
    new friends in an old house? no way.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

If somebody asks, I'll give them the tour. I've got nothing to hide. The only time I've offered up an unsolicited tour was a couple of weeks ago when my parents were over for the first time since I put down new cork flooring in our den and got new furniture and I wanted them to see the floors and color choices for the walls (I'm not the handy-type but I was particularly pleased with my work so wanted to show it off).

When visiting somebody else I don't ask for the tour but am always nosy enough to go on it when offered or giving it to another guest. The one time I did ask for a tour was just last weekend at a very good friend's newly built 8,000sqft monstrosity. I had to use a bedroom to change my daughter and couldn't figure out which of the three staircases I needed to use to get back to all the other guests. After that I decided I wanted to see the rest of the house.