• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me your best leather jacket and why

himelator

Reaction score
So I make leather jackets, I write about leather jackets, and I have spent 20 years in the vintage clothing business. I want to have meaningful discussions about leather jackets and I like buying and selling them through my websites http://himelbros.com , http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.comand my ebay id. That being said I though I would lead off this discussion with some of the jackets that I make and spread out from there http://www.himelbrothersleather.com/...m=1&gallery=17 http://www.himelbrothersleather.com/...m=1&gallery=21 so these are pictures of two of the models I make, an Avro D pocket jacket and a Heron jacket. Both are made of Japanese horsehide I love them because I labour to make them perfect and try to build out of materials that look rich and beautiful but will last a long long long time as well. I have favorite vintage jackets I will get to later! Himelator

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
My Goodwear Leather Civilian jacket:
2pq6cr5.jpg
103yffc.jpg

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
Moo, that's a GREAT jacket. perhaps my ignorance showing, but assuming by your title you got it at Goodwill?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack the thread but what do you use as a leather conditioner on your leather jacket? I have a brown Brooks Brothers jacket that I've had for about 6 years that I would like to condition.

himelator

Reaction score
John is a very very good friend of mine. We buy the same leather from the same tanneries. His ventura jacket is one of the best made in the world I could spend hours explaining why but what I will say is this. It takes 6 months to get one...and at the price that jacket is cheap. He should be charging 3000 for it because it will last forever, is a work of art and he makes each damn one himself!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Not to sidetrack the thread but what do you use as a leather conditioner on your leather jacket? I have a brown Brooks Brothers jacket that I've had for about 6 years that I would like to condition.

I have heard that Pecard's leather dressing works, but have not tried it myself.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by himelator
John is a very very good friend of mine. We buy the same leather from the same tanneries. His ventura jacket is one of the best made in the world I could spend hours explaining why but what I will say is this. It takes 6 months to get one...and at the price that jacket is cheap. He should be charging 3000 for it because it will last forever, is a work of art and he makes each damn one himself!

+10000 John is not only a top notch artisan but he's a great small business owner as well. And he does it all by himself with just one assistant.

himelator

Reaction score
holy crap there are a lot of people on the style forum. Leather rarely needs conditioning..it depends on what kind of leather the jacket is made out of painted or dyed...dyed is open pore leather, and in that case is usually finished with wax so a wax oil combo that doesnt darken the leather is good...if it is painted leather then you just need to apply beef tallow products like lexol to the cracked areas where the paint has worn off.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is strange; a guy who has made 2 posts in two years, a guy who joins to ask if the images don't exist, and some of the most broken english on the forum.

himelator

Reaction score
hey thanks btw...I am almost finished making that pattern perfect..I am working on two more cafe racer styles this month...oh well spend spend spend...just ordered more horsehide too!

himelator

Reaction score
lol I moderate two other forums write 2 blogs and have a company I am running and selling vintage jackets sorry if I am not keeping up to your standards, lol. I thought I would drop in and see what is going on in here as I was reading the peice written on Larry Heller and I was just in L.A. chatting with him two weeks ago and was working on a blog piece on Hellers Cafe. I had forgotten about style forum and since I have just been recently updating my website and am procrastinating doing my taxes I thought I might pop in for the day!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads