• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shout out to Hober and purple gingham question

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First - just received my navy Sam Hober grenadine and it is very nice. Never would have heard of this vendor before I came to SF and very happy to have done so.

Second - I have been craving a purple gingham shirt for some time and recently found a decent medium check one from J Crew online - hardly a bargain at $80 but they arent easy to come by unless you want to spring for a Kent Wang. Now I'm wondering what to pair it with. Navy suit and said navy grenadine would probably work as those two will work with just about anything - any suggestions for some other combinations?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mid-grey suit would work great with a deep purple gingham.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
personally I think a purple gingham looks good with navy or beige... some ideas:
purpleginghamshirtnavyt.jpg
greysportscoatpurplegin.jpg
charcoalsuitpurplegingh.jpg
lightbluesportscoatpurp.jpg
colorsbeigesuitepurples.jpg
So switch up the tie and shirt colors here for example:
navyblazerbluewindowpai.jpg
and personally I think this would go GREAT with a light grey suit, purple gingham shirt, and navy tie...
greysuitblueshirtpurple.jpg
and believe it or not, a light brown is possible too!
lightbrownsuitblueshirt.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers MC. Some good looks there.

I have to say that I've noticed you responding to threads quite a few times lately with pictorial collages and you are making me very jealous with what must be your considerable archive. I would love to have a similar set from which to draw inspiration, t must have taken some time to compile. Do you have them all filed randomly or sorted by colour/style/theme etc.?

Anyway please keep on keeping on.
cheers.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically I've just been around here for 4 years or so. Just through mostly the WAYW's I started saving pictures based on certain fits, color combos, or favorite posters, etc... after this long it's about 1500-2000 pictures big. I always write a description in the title and then the poster's name. Now i can just open the folder and search a keyword like 'gingham' or 'purple', pick the few relevant ones and upload to imageshak and donezo. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes but i figure this board is sort of archiving knowledge so it's for everyone's benefit. Nowadays it's not just about info, it's about the ability to slice it into relevant pieces.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Picasa too but it takes me enough time just keeping up with my own personal photos, before I even think about finding time for my few lame attempts at posting into WAYWRN. If you decide to do an album let me know, the drinks are on me should our paths ever cross. Meanwhile please continue to do your thang.

I think one thing that draws me to SF is that I used to like to look at some of the spreads in GQ and Esquire, partly to internally sort out what I like and what I don't like - what I think would work for me and what wouldn't, but unfortunately those mags seem to be on a slow decline and I'm really not interested in their food, wine and TV critiques. A few days of WAYWRN posts eclipses months of trolling through ever slimmer style magazines.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Basically I've just been around here for 4 years or so. Just through mostly the WAYW's I started saving pictures based on certain fits, color combos, or favorite posters, etc... after this long it's about 1500-2000 pictures big. I always write a description in the title and then the poster's name. Now i can just open the folder and search a keyword like 'gingham' or 'purple', pick the few relevant ones and upload to imageshak and donezo. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes but i figure this board is sort of archiving knowledge so it's for everyone's benefit. Nowadays it's not just about info, it's about the ability to slice it into relevant pieces.
I've got a similar archive. (Except I always cut off faces so it's not teh ****) We should combine and put it up, maybe make it a collaborative effort for the whole board in Google Docs

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
Cheers MC. Some good looks there.

I have to say that I've noticed you responding to threads quite a few times lately with pictorial collages and you are making me very jealous with what must be your considerable archive. I would love to have a similar set from which to draw inspiration, t must have taken some time to compile. Do you have them all filed randomly or sorted by colour/style/theme etc.?

Anyway please keep on keeping on.
cheers.gif

yes, MC's archiving system
worship.gif
has provided some excellent and extremely helpful collages as you noted

gio3969

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

Fantastic. A man after my own heart. It is nice to see some of the spirit of Galton alive and well on the internet.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
If you decide to do an album let me know, the drinks are on me should our paths ever cross. Meanwhile please continue to do your thang.
I'll look into doing this actually. I've made a note about the drink too
colgate.gif
Originally Posted by jrd617
I've got a similar archive. (Except I always cut off faces so it's not teh ****) We should combine and put it up, maybe make it a collaborative effort for the whole board in Google Docs
Sure, PM Sent... I'll email J about that idea too...
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
yes, MC's archiving system
worship.gif
has provided some excellent and extremely helpful collages as you noted

Thanks! I do what I can and will continue to do this type of posting whenever possible.
Originally Posted by gio3969
Fantastic. A man after my own heart. It is nice to see some of the spirit of Galton alive and well on the internet.
Francis? Thanks, i think... I just wikied him. Sounds like there's a correlation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads