• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shout out to Hober and purple gingham question

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First - just received my navy Sam Hober grenadine and it is very nice. Never would have heard of this vendor before I came to SF and very happy to have done so.

Second - I have been craving a purple gingham shirt for some time and recently found a decent medium check one from J Crew online - hardly a bargain at $80 but they arent easy to come by unless you want to spring for a Kent Wang. Now I'm wondering what to pair it with. Navy suit and said navy grenadine would probably work as those two will work with just about anything - any suggestions for some other combinations?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mid-grey suit would work great with a deep purple gingham.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
personally I think a purple gingham looks good with navy or beige... some ideas:
So switch up the tie and shirt colors here for example:
and personally I think this would go GREAT with a light grey suit, purple gingham shirt, and navy tie...
and believe it or not, a light brown is possible too!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers MC. Some good looks there.

I have to say that I've noticed you responding to threads quite a few times lately with pictorial collages and you are making me very jealous with what must be your considerable archive. I would love to have a similar set from which to draw inspiration, t must have taken some time to compile. Do you have them all filed randomly or sorted by colour/style/theme etc.?

Anyway please keep on keeping on.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically I've just been around here for 4 years or so. Just through mostly the WAYW's I started saving pictures based on certain fits, color combos, or favorite posters, etc... after this long it's about 1500-2000 pictures big. I always write a description in the title and then the poster's name. Now i can just open the folder and search a keyword like 'gingham' or 'purple', pick the few relevant ones and upload to imageshak and donezo. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes but i figure this board is sort of archiving knowledge so it's for everyone's benefit. Nowadays it's not just about info, it's about the ability to slice it into relevant pieces.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Picasa too but it takes me enough time just keeping up with my own personal photos, before I even think about finding time for my few lame attempts at posting into WAYWRN. If you decide to do an album let me know, the drinks are on me should our paths ever cross. Meanwhile please continue to do your thang.

I think one thing that draws me to SF is that I used to like to look at some of the spreads in GQ and Esquire, partly to internally sort out what I like and what I don't like - what I think would work for me and what wouldn't, but unfortunately those mags seem to be on a slow decline and I'm really not interested in their food, wine and TV critiques. A few days of WAYWRN posts eclipses months of trolling through ever slimmer style magazines.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Basically I've just been around here for 4 years or so. Just through mostly the WAYW's I started saving pictures based on certain fits, color combos, or favorite posters, etc... after this long it's about 1500-2000 pictures big. I always write a description in the title and then the poster's name. Now i can just open the folder and search a keyword like 'gingham' or 'purple', pick the few relevant ones and upload to imageshak and donezo. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes but i figure this board is sort of archiving knowledge so it's for everyone's benefit. Nowadays it's not just about info, it's about the ability to slice it into relevant pieces.
I've got a similar archive. (Except I always cut off faces so it's not teh homo) We should combine and put it up, maybe make it a collaborative effort for the whole board in Google Docs

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
Cheers MC. Some good looks there.

I have to say that I've noticed you responding to threads quite a few times lately with pictorial collages and you are making me very jealous with what must be your considerable archive. I would love to have a similar set from which to draw inspiration, t must have taken some time to compile. Do you have them all filed randomly or sorted by colour/style/theme etc.?

Anyway please keep on keeping on.

yes, MC's archiving system
has provided some excellent and extremely helpful collages as you noted

gio3969

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

Fantastic. A man after my own heart. It is nice to see some of the spirit of Galton alive and well on the internet.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
If you decide to do an album let me know, the drinks are on me should our paths ever cross. Meanwhile please continue to do your thang.
I'll look into doing this actually. I've made a note about the drink too
Originally Posted by jrd617
I've got a similar archive. (Except I always cut off faces so it's not teh homo) We should combine and put it up, maybe make it a collaborative effort for the whole board in Google Docs
Sure, PM Sent... I'll email J about that idea too...
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
yes, MC's archiving system
has provided some excellent and extremely helpful collages as you noted

Thanks! I do what I can and will continue to do this type of posting whenever possible.
Originally Posted by gio3969
Fantastic. A man after my own heart. It is nice to see some of the spirit of Galton alive and well on the internet.
Francis? Thanks, i think... I just wikied him. Sounds like there's a correlation.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.