• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder fit - narrow / delts sticking out

fredrik80

Reaction score
I have a question about proper shoulder fit - i just got a nice slim fit suit that pretty much fits perfect off the rack, the thing is the shoulders fit a bit different from what im used to - i dont know if this phenomen happens because point to point is too narrow or if it is just the style. My tailor said that the width was OK , it was just the shoulder style of the suits combined with my shoulder-bone structure that caused this, and that i shouldent worry - but i really would like some more opinions....

See this picture http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=49002489

(it's the suit i have, and it fits pretty much exactly as on the model, the shoulder phenomen happens also on this model just as on me) - zoom in on his right shoulder and you will see that the side delt kind of sticks out a bit just below the shoulder. The shoulder on me ends exactly where my shoulder-bone ends, but my side-delts are pretty big so they stand out slightly a bit down the shoulder

The shoulder is slightly padded if it makes any difference. And it does not feel constricting or tight in any way, i know how tightness in the shoulders feel from other jackets.

csgrad

Reaction score
That's just the cut of costume national. I wouldn't worry about it, nothing is wrong per see, unless you just don't like that kind of look.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the look of a narrow shoulder (and more vertical sleeve seam), but not at the expense of looking constricted or uncomfortable. The deltoid bulge is not very becoming. That guy looks like he could use one size up. Also, I know the short jacket is de rigueur, but I think he could use a little more length, too.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that fit is correct for a CN suit. It's just a different style.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just a different style.
I think you may be correct, Edward Appleby, and this is where things start to get complicated. Either you accept the style as legit, and wear it, or you leave it on the hanger.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
It's just a different style.
I think you may be correct, Edward Appleby, and this is where things start to get complicated. Either you accept the style as legit, and wear it, or you leave it on the hanger.

+1

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I think that fit is correct for a CN suit. It's just a different style.

The fit of the back of that jacket is atrocious, style aside.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
This jacket is too small for the model, just look at the photo of his back. One's gym handiwork shouldn't be visible through their tailored clothing.

Agreed. I used to try and get my OTR suits to fit like this as I am tall and slim. I constantly argued with tailors, trying to get a little taken in here and there. When my first MTM suit arrived and fit somewhat looser, I realized all my tight fitting suits looked ridiculous. All my humble opinion of course. . .

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am a big, big proponent of LOOSE fits. But I know people who don't like them. That's why I said this is where things can get complicated. One must decide whether or not this particular style is legitimate, as it is presented. I know I wouldn't wear it, but for those who enjoy that look . . . it's their choice.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The skin-tight fit fad is just that. It is not long for this world, thank goodness.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you, though . . . when I was growing up, the young men wore pants to school that were so TIGHT they could barely walk, let alone sit down. This was in the sixties. The going 'levi' length, was above the ankle. Any boy who did otherwise, was 'odd,' to say the least. I know. I was one of them. When I was in college, young men wore cut off jeans so short and so tight, that these days they might be considered indecent. At the time, it was 'cool.' Looks come in and out, and in and out again, albeit in reworked configurations. I think soon, we'll see a trend toward high rise trousers.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I'll tell you, though . . . when I was growing up, the young men wore pants to school that were so TIGHT they could barely walk, let alone sit down. This was in the sixties. The going 'levi' length, was above the ankle. Any boy who did otherwise, was 'odd,' to say the least. I know. I was one of them. When I was in college, young men wore cut off jeans so short and so tight, that these days they might be considered indecent. At the time, it was 'cool.' Looks come in and out, and in and out again, albeit in reworked configurations. I think soon, we'll see a trend toward high rise trousers.

That's where the whole current tight trend came from. People want to be retro. Look at all the "in" and "cool" t shirts people buy today that were made in 2007 but refer to some event in the 1980s. Frogger and Atari and Back to the Future and all such things are "cool" once again. People have just run out of ideas and have some strange interest in reliving the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredrik80
I have a question about proper shoulder fit - i just got a nice slim fit suit that pretty much fits perfect off the rack, the thing is the shoulders fit a bit different from what im used to - i dont know if this phenomen happens because point to point is too narrow or if it is just the style. My tailor said that the width was OK , it was just the shoulder style of the suits combined with my shoulder-bone structure that caused this, and that i shouldent worry - but i really would like some more opinions....

See this picture http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=49002489

(it's the suit i have, and it fits pretty much exactly as on the model, the shoulder phenomen happens also on this model just as on me) - zoom in on his right shoulder and you will see that the side delt kind of sticks out a bit just below the shoulder. The shoulder on me ends exactly where my shoulder-bone ends, but my side-delts are pretty big so they stand out slightly a bit down the shoulder

The shoulder is slightly padded if it makes any difference. And it does not feel constricting or tight in any way, i know how tightness in the shoulders feel from other jackets.

Looks fine to me. Designer clothes fit me the same way. It's not very comfortable though.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zjpj83, it really gets weird when you're OLD enough to remember all of these trends. I remember skin tight, I remember baggy, the beehive hairdo, and leisure suits, bell bottoms, minis, micro-minis, two piece bathing suits, falls, angora embellished 'boyfriend' rings, the layered look, platform shoes, you name it. I remember it. Trust me, gettin' old, ain't easy.
mark my words: next trend, for men: high rise trousers. Uses more fabric, will look new; young men and women will feel induced to buy them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads