Shoulder expression

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jefferyd, May 25, 2011.

1. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

To further clarify (I hope), all three of these garments have the EXACT SAME shoulder pad. I hope it is becoming clearer how much (or how little) the pad has to do with the expression of the shoulder.

[​IMG]

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 ya this is very helpful & informative. I actually just got a vintage Jaeger suit from a relative and I'm having it fitted by a tailor here in HK. The shoulders are not totally my preference so this helps a bunch...thx!

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Great post, very informative.

...... It seems I hear on a weekly (daily?) basis about someone wanting to take padding out, or someone commenting in WAYWN "too much padding" when it may not be the case at all.

to reiterate, too many SF'er assume that too much "padding" lead to the ROPED shoulder, so therefore, by removing the padding, the shoulder will be "natural". And because the natural shoulder is the current Styleforum choice, everybody wants a natural/sleeve-shoulder/water-fall shoulder.

So then what is the purpose of having shoulder padding in the first place? What body-type would benefit from having padding?

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thank you for this! I was just admiring the rope shoulder on my Zegna SC and didn't know what to call it [​IMG]

5. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

So then what is the purpose of having shoulder padding in the first place? What body-type would benefit from having padding?

Someone with sloped, hunched, or rounded shoulders would benefit. Also someone with very pronounced shoulder blades, or larger hips.

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.
    Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

6. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I hope it is becoming clearer how much (or how little) the pad has to do with the expression of the shoulder.

I think it was about time you busted this myth.

And because the natural shoulder is the current Styleforum choice, everybody wants a natural/sleeve-shoulder/water-fall shoulder.

Truth.

Someone with sloped, hunched, or rounded shoulders would benefit. Also someone with very pronounced shoulder blades, or larger hips.

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.

Does anyone else think that if PG got his head out of his ass and actually really looked at the fit pics he pastes across 3 threads and his own brog, he'd realize that just maybe, he could use some padding? Or is it all a matter of personal preference at the end of the day?

7. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

Thank you very much jefferyd for the illustrations and definitions. We need more of this on SF.

Also you are very polite. IMHO I would replace "bit" with "fair to alot". Also in terms of expression I have rarely seen someone with non-roped that would not look better with roped except for the most casual of casual................................ .........................pyjamas[​IMG]

8. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

This thread is much appreciated.

9. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Also, I'm not sure why but the bald shoulder always reminds me of apes [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The term bald shoulder is ironic to me because my father went bald and all of the hair that fell out replanted on his shoulders.

11. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to write up this very informative post. I've learned a lot! I'm a fan of the roped and natural shoulders. [​IMG]

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Awesome post, very informative. Wish there were more like this! Many thanks.

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Terrific thread - many thanks!

14. forex

forex Senior member

I think it was about time you busted this myth.

Truth.

Does anyone else think that if PG got his head out of his ass and actually really looked at the fit pics he pastes across 3 threads and his own brog, he'd realize that just maybe, he could use some padding? Or is it all a matter of personal preference at the end of the day?

+100 to this

15. gj555

gj555 Senior member

Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

When I recently posted a photo of my suit, I got the too much padding comment.

I have sloped and hunched shoulders and my left shoulder is smaller than my right one. For me, I absolutely need padding and would look silly without it. The problem with photos is that people are quick to assume that a suit has too much padding without knowing the person's shape or whether the person even wanted that style.