• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder bulges

hikari013

Reaction score
I've tried searching for an answer to this, but I wasn't able to find anything (maybe I'm using the wrong terms) and would appreciate someone to enlighten me as to what is going on with my jacket.

A new jacket I got has these bulges on the top of the shoulders and despite many rounds of alterations, the problem hasn't gone away.
baldy[1].gif

I got the jacket from Brooks Brothers and had it altered at the store here in Chicago. Over the course of two months and about five fittings, the problem in the shoulders has been reduced, but never taken care of to my satisfaction. I want the shoulders to lay flat, but there's still the bulges on the top of the shoulders. I think the people at Brooks loathe me by now and I've since taken the jacket home, but the bulges still bug me.

As I mentioned, the problem was worse to begin with and in the course of the alterations the sleeves were rotated and the back of the jacket was taken in under the collar to fix a rumpling issue under the collar but the shoulders still don't lay flat.

Is this kind of problem unfixable? Am I expecting too much?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not right. I'd tell them they get one more chance to make the shoulders lay flat or you will return it. if they don't take it back ask for customer service and call in the store.

Artking3

Reaction score
The salesperson should never sold the jacket to you when it fit so poorly. Return it.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I bought a jackrt from brooks, that during the course of alterations their, had the collar roll fixed , and ended up with the same bulges on shoulders. Took it to outside tailor, I use. Took him 2 trips to fix it, he said that when they ( brooks tailor ) altered for collar roll, they didn't bring in at the shoulders evenly.
To repair for collar roll, the collar is disconnected, plus the shoulders are opened out far enough to bring up back an amount to cure collar roll. Once it is done unevenly it is a MF to repair. It is always easier to do alterations right the first time than to try and fix up a F up.

TexasDan

Reaction score
If you have been in for five fittings and the shoulders are still not fixed, you have been more than patient. You should ask for a refund. I have had limited dealings with BB customer service, but they have been favorable.

bluesman528

Reaction score
I think the jacket was much too big for you from the beginning.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hopefully someone who knows more can tell you how to actually fix it, but I believe that's caused by high (i.e., not sloping), forward-thrust shoulders. I don't know exactly what they need to do but I think it involves adjusting the shoulder seam.

I have a similar problem, albeit not as severe, and I've never been able to find a local tailor who can fix it well. You will find that some OTR jackets fit you better off the rack than others. Get one of those.

hikari013

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Hopefully someone who knows more can tell you how to actually fix it, but I believe that's caused by high (i.e., not sloping), forward-thrust shoulders. I don't know exactly what they need to do but I think it involves adjusting the shoulder seam.

I have a similar problem, albeit not as severe, and I've never been able to find a local tailor who can fix it well. You will find that some OTR jackets fit you better off the rack than others. Get one of those.

Thank you all for weighing in. I think this should be a lesson to me not to buy things that don't fit relatively well in the future.

I had bought the jacket on the website, so I didn't get to try it on first. When I brought it in for alterations, I had my doubts they could fix it, but the tailor said they could do it. Maybe they didn't expect me to have very high standards.

I'm supposed to take it back to the store on Saturday or Wednesday when the "master tailor" is in so he can look at it.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks to me as though the collar was lowered by itself.
the back should have been shortened. that would include taking in the back of the shoulder seam as well as bringing the collar down.
see how the bulge rises behind the shoulder seam, thats a sign.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk

I have that problem too, but not as severe. It's from having square/high shoulders and can be fixed pretty easily (from my understanding). Wouldn't it be a matter of rolling up the fabric under the collar?

hikari013

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
looks to me as though the collar was lowered by itself.
the back should have been shortened. that would include taking in the back of the shoulder seam as well as bringing the collar down.
see how the bulge rises behind the shoulder seam, thats a sign.

Thank you for your input! Do you think this sort of problem could be fixed? I've rather lost confidence given that its been through 5 rounds of alterations already.

I called up customer service to ask about returns, and they were more than willing to accept the return, but they said only the retail store could return the money I paid for the alterations should I decide to give up and return it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads