• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder alterations (I know, I know)...

SartorialStudent

Reaction score
Hello! Just comissioned my first mtm suit. All and all very happy with it, but shoulder fit isn't perfect. In my eyes, a bit too big, especially in the back. Will a tailor be able to alter this? I know it's usually not adviced to alter shoulders, and this one might be extra tough since it's spalla camicia, but one could always ask.
Thanks!
20190322_170717_HDR.jpg
Also aware that trouser fit is very bad in back, pulled them up way to high to get less break, will ofc be adjusted as well :)

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello! Just comissioned my first mtm suit. All and all very happy with it, but shoulder fit isn't perfect. In my eyes, a bit too big, especially in the back. Will a tailor be able to alter this? I know it's usually not adviced to alter shoulders, and this one might be extra tough since it's spalla camicia, but one could always ask.
Thanks!
View attachment 1148187 Also aware that trouser fit is very bad in back, pulled them up way to high to get less break, will ofc be adjusted as well :)

Cool - congrats on getting your first MTM done!! What brand did you opt for?

I'd say the shoulder is indeed a bit wide, but you can actually make it much slimmer by trimming the allowance for canvas & interlining in the sleeve head. Attaching a photo to highlight this, as you have 1 extra CM right there. Removing this will allow for the Spalla camicia shoulder to come through.

In the back, you could clean it up significantly by reducing the shoulder width. A quite Easy alteration.

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 6.32.27 PM.png

SartorialStudent

Reaction score

I'd say the shoulder is indeed a bit wide, but you can actually make it much slimmer by trimming the allowance for canvas & interlining in the sleeve head. Attaching a photo to highlight this, as you have 1 extra CM right there. Removing this will allow for the Spalla camicia shoulder to come through.

In the back, you could clean it up significantly by reducing the shoulder width. A quite Easy alteration.

View attachment 1148205
Thank you for a very helpful answer, will definitely try that!
It's made by Blugiallo, a quite new swedish brand. I live in Sweden, hence the Swedish brand. Great service, nice fabrics and very priceworthy!

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for a very helpful answer, will definitely try that!
It's made by Blugiallo, a quite new swedish brand. I live in Sweden, hence the Swedish brand. Great service, nice fabrics and very priceworthy!

Toppen - lycka till :)

- Karin

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1148205
Aove suit and not unusually, one shoulder hangs lower than the other. In this case, your left. Unless of course you are not standing straight or on a level surface. But If so and since MTM, shouldn't they have accounted for that (and do the fix on the shoulder width too themselves)? Just thinking out loud here.

SartorialStudent

Reaction score
Yeah my left shoulder is lower. When he took my measurements I think he accounted for that but to be honest I don't exactly remember. I should have been more attentive when I tried the suit on but I guess I was so happy about everything else, and getting my first mtm, that I kind of forgot.

NnamAries

Reaction score
yikes, such a shame. I am sure you can find a tailor, although I sadly do not know any. This suit needs some work if you'll enjoy wearing it tho, for what its worth the fabric looks good.

SartorialStudent

Reaction score
Yeah actually I found one today that seems competent, quite lucky because I live in a mediumsized town in Sweden. He will just fix the shoulders though, the mtm company will fix sleeve and trouserlength. When thats fixed I think it will look good, like the fabric a lot as well!
Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads