• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should your heal slip when you walk

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am especially interested to hear what DWFII and other residents shoe maker think about this. When you are buying a cowboy boots you are advised that there should be some heel slippage until the sole breaks in. But what about other footwear? Shoes, Chelsea boots? Those with rubber soles etc? The reason why I am asking is because I bought a Belgrade boot from RL http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=3711092 These boots seems to to have some sort of linen lining in heels, like a loafer shoes. This lining firmly locks my heels in place, there is no movement or slippage of any kind. My question is should heels flex a bit when you walk? What are your opinions or experiences? PS. Do not mind that spelling mistake in title
frown.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There shouldnt be any slippage in dress shoes. Its a great way to ruin nice wool socks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds fishy.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
There shouldnt be any slippage in dress shoes. Its a great way to ruin nice wool socks.

I appreciate your input now change your avatar. If edmorel had to change his avatar which I liked by the way you must change yours.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
I appreciate your input now change your avatar. If edmorel had to change his avatar which I liked by the way you must change yours.

Never.

Bespoke shorts are the next thing. You saw them here first.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress shoes should never slip.

I don't like my ankle boots slipping either.

Don't own any boots that are higher so cannot comment on those.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By request...

First off, I am not too sanguine about a linen lining. The only reason I can think of that it would be used rather than leather is that the manufacturer wanted to cut costs.

But no...a shoe should not slip at the heel. Shoe lasts are clipped (narrowed) along the comb of the last; and the radius of the back of the heel is much more pronounced than on a last for a pull on boot--such as a cowboy boot. If a boot last were as curved as a shoe last your heel would hang up when trying to get into the boot...forcing the top of the heel stiffener down.

If the shoe is not too long for the foot that radius at the back of the heel should cup the heel sufficiently to prevent heel slippage.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
I have a pair of boots which I think fit me perfectly, but slip a lot in the heal. I think the instep might be a bit loose so my ankle has a bit of movement, but they are super comfortable (actually one of my most comfortable shoes).

when I purchased them I tried smaller sizes and they didnt work at all so i know these are the correct length -- I just think some boots move in mysterious ways!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DWFII,

Many thanks. I have obtained a first pair of bespoke shoes recently. I am still debating whether to bother purchasing RTW at all. As time passes by I will probably settle for having few pairs of bespoke shoes instead of dozen of RTW. The heel on my bespoke shoes does not slip at all and none of my toes is squished.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
DWFII, Many thanks. I have obtained a first pair of bespoke shoes recently. I am still debating whether to bother purchasing RTW at all. As time passes by I will probably settle for having few pairs of bespoke shoes instead of dozen of RTW. The heel on my bespoke shoes does not slip at all and none of my toes is squished.
^Forbidden pleasures. You're very welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads