• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should you pick your footwear size according to your arch location?

Christopher Alan

Reaction score
I was at the cobbler’s shop the other day and he noted that although my feet measure a size 9 (left) and 9.5 (right), my arch is where a size 10 would be.

Additionally, in doing research lately on the proper sizing of shoes, I’ve learned that a critical component to fitting your shoes is how your arch relates to the point at which the shoe/boot is designed to flex. Further, there is no downside to a little extra space in front of your toes provided that it fits properly in terms of width, the shape of the last, arch and flex point, etc...

So, this got me wondering, should we be focusing less on getting the perfect length of shoe and more on getting the arch location right? Again, assuming the length isn’t too short...

Accordingly, in my situation for example, I would generally choose a size 10 shoe since that would generally match up with my arch even though my feet measure at 9/9.5. I’d then just use (size 10) insoles if I need to fill any space and not worry about whether I have the right amount of space in front if my toes since I know it’s at least not too short. So, I end up with a shoe that coordinates with my foot and flexes right with it. Does this sound right to you?

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%