• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should you and your significant other have similar styles?

maclovin

Reaction score
Similar to the car thread.

Should couples have similar styles? Conservative and conservative, designer and designer? Do you find it incongruous when a woman is fashion forward and her man conservative or vice versa?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It's not that they shouldn't, it's just that it isn't like a rule or anything saying they should. Both need to look like they're at least well-put together and not look like slobs. It doesn't matter whether they're both conservative or if one is conservative and one is fashion forward.

Wicky

Reaction score
Not required, however if she does develop a taste for it.... Bought my bird a pair of Santoni boots for her birthday (and you think your's are expensive!!!!) and now she's hooked. She just bought her second pair of Santoni's this week (so 2 pair in 2 months). Oh well, we look nice though.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Me: Jil Sander, Thom Browne
Boyfriend: Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Dior Homme, Chanel Homme

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is Jeeves to my Bertie Wooster--much more stodgy and conservative. She dislikes ascots, pocket squares, spectator shoes and the like.

However, she is willing to appear in public much more casually attired than I will--she doesn't mind wearing jeans, hoodies, sneakers and similar apparel that I would shun for anything except working out or garden work.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Me: Jil Sander, Thom Browne
Boyfriend: Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Dior Homme, Chanel Homme

word.

me: paul smith, fred perry, ben sherman, baracuta, agnes b
her: fred perry, ben sherman, nanette lapore, lulu guinness

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thank God you didn't say Betsey Johnson. She isn't into Commes?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I guess that's why were not together anymore. That's at least one of the reasons. She liked to dress like crap and I didn't and it made her feel out of place so she never wanted to go out anywhere with me. Plus the fact that she was seeing someone behind my back but that's a entirely diffrent story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads