1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Should this jacket be shortened?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suitstudier, Nov 8, 2018 at 4:50 AM.

1. suitstudier

suitstudier New Member

Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the gormless expression in this photo.
    This is a suit recently acquired, and I'm considering having it altered. The sleeves and trouser length needs taking up - but does the jacket need shortening - would doing so through off the balance?

Currently it just covers the butt, but I do have short legs. I can get the alterations done really cheaply, but would it be worth it with this suit?
    I'm fairly new to buying and altering suits so would appreciate suggestions.
    In this picture I've rolled up the sleeves a little and also the trouser legs.

upload_2018-11-8_12-47-14.png

2. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

I would vote no. It might look a tiny bit better, given your stature, if it were up to an inch shorter. But the act of shortening a finished jacket would make it look worse in other ways which would mean there was no overall benefit in my opinion. This is a prime example of not judging length by position against the thumb as like me you have relatively short arms.

3. suitstudier

suitstudier New Member

Thanks for the two cents :)

4. S.R.M. 1977

S.R.M. 1977 Active Member

Can we get a picture with it buttoned up?

At the moment, I would say there's no need to shorten it.

5. colco

colco Senior Member

No way to judge when jacket is unbuttoned

6. BXpress

BXpress Well-Known Member

Leave it that way. Short legs or no, a too short jacket is worse (duck ass look) than a slightly too long jacket for your stature.

7. suitstudier

suitstudier New Member

Cheers i will post a picture with the jacket closed.

8. F.G

F.G Member

if it was me i would actually be more concern with the trousers,
    a minor adjustment would make the whole proportion nicer imo.
    a little hemming would do it great justice. but then again that's just me.

9. suitstudier

suitstudier New Member

Thanks yes I am going to get the arms and legs shortened. The only thing I'm wondering about is the jacket length because the tailor I go to usually suggests shortening the jacket but I'm not sure he's right.