• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should suit and overcoat styles match?

ZenEdge

Reaction score
I am curious as to whether a suit's style and an overcoat's style should match for the sake of consistency. Does the style of the overcoat need to reflect the style of the suit underneath? For example, if one wore a two-button single breasted suit with peak lapels and side vents, would one wear a similarly styled overcoat? Personally, I have never seen a single breasted overcoat with side vents.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Complete nonsense

Ennius

Reaction score
I have heard mobsters will match them exactly from bespoke tailors....

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Match, maybe not. But what about formal vs informal?
Unless one is limited to one overcoat, I think that a conservative business dress
conservative business suit looks a bit odd with a Raglan sleeve,
Balmacan collar tweed overcoat. Something the British would categorize
as Country clothing (vs. Town):

http://williampowell.s3.amazonaws.com/p/l/MJC910.jpg

Mid-Modernist

Reaction score
Providing you wear something like a Mac or Trench with a suit, and not something like a wax jacket or Parka. You'll be fine.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since most men who wear suits own more than one suit, and only one overcoat, that would severely limit one's choices when purchasing suits. An overcoat should match the level of formality of one's attire, but does not need to match a the jacket's style. Of course, there are many, many overcoats that are fine with the full range of formality, from suits upward, so you can still get by with only one. I would avoid pairing an opera cape with a lounge suit, but that's just me :p

Balfour

Reaction score
Match, maybe not. But what about formal vs informal?
Unless one is limited to one overcoat, I think that a conservative business dress
conservative business suit looks a bit odd with a Raglan sleeve,
Balmacan collar tweed overcoat. Something the British would categorize
as Country clothing (vs. Town):

http://williampowell.s3.amazonaws.com/p/l/MJC910.jpg

Agreed, although the example given by the OP did not suggest he was drawing this sort of distinction. There is definitely a case for different modes of overcoat for formal dress, conservative business dress, informal city suits / odd jackets, country suits / odd jackets, etc.

If the OP is looking for something versatile (not to be conflated with optimal), then a tan raincoat with detachable lining will cover a lot of bases in a relatively temperate climate.

ZenEdge

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of wearing a single breasted peak lapel suit with side vents under a single breasted notch lapel overcoat with a center vent. Peak lapel suit contrasted with notch lapel overcoat. Suit with side vents contrasted with an overcoat with a center vent. Judging from the responses generated, it seems to be a non issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads