• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should rnoldh go to Mexico this weekend?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't been to Mexico in a quite a while.

I really miss the country and the people.

A few of my friends want to go to "The Valley" this weekend. Primarily to Reynosa. They're pretty well connected down there and we'll stay at the Holiday Inn which is known to be safe ( by today's standards at least ). But bullets are known to be great equalizers.

And yes, I know about this!

Would you risk it? Do you think I should go?

Anyone have relevant opinions or experience?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Don't go to the border bro. Fly into Monterrey and visit the area around there.

Thanks, probably better but still not great!

It's not a certainty I'll go but I really want to.

Of course I won't take much cash. But I've heard the horror stories of kidnappings, ransoms, and ATM trips.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought most of your Mexico trips included, ahem, ATM trips.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Have a weekend in Puerto Penasco soon. Staying at a friend's beach house villa. I say go for it R.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, my friends flaked out, so no trip.

Too peligroso Amigos!

And one of them knows the Mayor.

It's bad down there.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Valle de Bravo? Which valley? Not like you give a **** but I'll be around.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Well, my friends flaked out, so no trip.

Too peligroso Amigos!

And one of them knows the Mayor.

It's bad down there.

Ohhhh.... a friend of the mayor too, he'd hate to hear you say that.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Ohhhh.... a friend of the mayor too, he'd hate to hear you say that.

Not really, even most Mexican politicians will admit the problem.

Tourism, and whoreism
laugh.gif
is very important to the border area.

It's a shame but they are really hurting.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If my friends were going, I'd take a shot.

But no way I'd go alone.

Progreso is a tamer, smaller town than Reynosa ( and probably safer ) but it's not worth going to without also going to Reynosa.

Eventually, Mexico will get better ( I hope ). I could go to the interior where it's supposedly much safer than the valley but that's real different than going to the border.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I'll be in Interlomas, might go to Tepotzlan on Saturday. They're having some sort of alien-spotting thing... should be weird. Not more than an hour or two from the DF either. You up by the border or something?

edit: check that, saw your post.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I'll be in Interlomas, might go to Tepotzlan on Saturday. They're having some sort of alien-spotting thing... should be weird. Not more than an hour or two from the DF either. You up by the border or something?

edit: check that, saw your post.

I've been in Houston since 1967 ( after being raised in NYC ). With a few years off to different places.

But basically I've been a Houstonian since 1967. I started going to the Valley back then and have loved it ever since.

It used to be extremely easy and completely safe till about the last 5 years or so. Then the major drug cartels shifted much of their action from SA and CA to Mexico, and things started to change. Today it's literally a battle for control of certain areas ( such as many border towns ) between the cartels and the Mexican Government. It's a war!!!!

I remember going to Laredo and then Nuevo Laredo and getting drunk at the Cadillac Bar. It was fun, easy and safe. But those times are long over. With demand in the USA for drugs so strong, I don't see how we are going to stop the Mexican drug cartels. I really wish we ( and the Mexican Government of course ) could defeat the cartels. It's a great country with fine people. We are a nation of immigrants and by and large Mexican people very often seek to emigrate to the USA for a better life for themselves and their families.

BP348

Reaction score
I live in south Texas and I say your friends are correct. Anyone who says its not as dangerous as people say is a ******* idiot!!!

I work with a lot of people who grew up on both sides of the border and they won't go across. If that doesn't tell you something then nothing will.

If you were going to the interior I'd say go for it but to come to Reynosa, no way!!

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I know people that just went and got robbed on the beach by the federali's at gun point. Or at least the robbers had costumes that looked like the cops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics