• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Pocket Squares match the tie?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think about pocket squares and tie contrast?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the 2 last?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the last one "it SHOULD" ?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it should be "I always match pocket square/tie" at least that's what I meant.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it should be "I always match pocket square/tie" at least that's what I meant.
You said "only". What do you want to match but color and paterns? Labels?
confused.gif
I have understood that you were trying to say...

johnw86

Reaction score
OK, lighten up guys. We know what he meant.
smile.gif
I think getting the colors close is acceptable; otherwise, go for complimentary colors/patterns. Matching is a little too "Van Heusen."

joseanes

Reaction score
I suggest that when someone does a poll, the possible poll answers should not overlap each other. You can achieve this by offering a few choices (four max?). Something like: 1) Always, 2) same pattern ok, 3) similar color ok, 4) never.

Why? A poll serves a purpose: to inform people of what is the most common way of thinking. If at the end of a poll the 10 votes it gets are spread among 10 possible answers, it doesn't serve its purpose.

Other than that... I love the polls you are posting on the site. They inform me a lot about the way people think in regards to important style topics.

Thanks.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest that when someone does a poll, the possible poll answers should not overlap each other.  You can achieve this by offering a few choices (four max?).  Something like:  1) Always, 2) same pattern ok, 3) similar color ok, 4) never.  
I agree

mistahlee

Reaction score
Speaking of ties and pocket squares -- I think the "rule" against an exact match is not based solely on aesthetic opinion.  Probably it is based also on the idea that an exact match is more mindless, or less creative, than a thoughtful assemblage of patterns and colors.  That idea may or may not be true but, IMHO, a tie and pocket square of the same material can look good - sharp and dressy.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I like the idea of keeping some of the practical heritage of any clothing detail. Thus I only really like handkerchiefs that could actually be used for something in an emergency, i.e. cotton or linen. Silk seems completely impractical for a handkerchief, while it actually makes some sense for a tie. To me, it would be like wearing satin silk gloves. I don't disagree that a silk handkerchief can look good, but it's not for me.

I also don't like the term 'pocket square'; it is one of the most ridiculous terms I can think of and reflects the idea that the item is for decoration only (which in many cases it is). However, in some sense all clothes are for decoration only, so why not call pants 'leg rectangles', socks 'foot tubes' and ties 'neck strips'. It's probably just me. But say it to yourself a few times.. "pocket square.. pocket square.."

BjornH

Reaction score
I suggest that when someone does a poll, the possible poll answers should not overlap each other.

Or, in geekspeak: The questions should form an orthogonal set.

B

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not huge into the whole functionality thing. I think items are used for purposes for which they were not originally intended. Some examples would be obviously the polo shirt, the rugby shirt, button down shirts (in general), ticket pockets, etc. I just wear what I think is aestheically pleasing regardless of its functional necessity or lack thereof.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
Pocket of a suit

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The poll mig htalso take into account that the square should be a different texture than the necktie, such as a linen square with a silk tie or a silk square with a cashmere tie.

I agree with Flusser that silk squares are fine with silk ties that have a flat finish, like a grenadine, but linen or cashmere squares work better with brighter silks.

Will

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads