1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should Pocket Squares match the tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Linen with a colored border works well, you have a little color to coordinate to shirt, tie or suit and a nice fat square of white linen to deposit booglets on that can be washed.

...hmm, this is troubling. On the one hand, when we release our "square shaped silk thingies designed to go in your pocket" it would be good for business if people blew disgusting bodily waste products into it and then bought new ones.

...on the other hand I'll be pretty insulted after spending so much time makin them nice. Remind me to add that disclaimer to my return policy 'handkerchief must be returned sans snot'

My grandfather kept the silk one in his outside pocket and the white one in his inside pocket according to the age old dictum "one for showin, one for blowin".

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

j, my point is that I don't subscribe to the theory that things need to be used for their intended purpose.

If we were to do that, people should only put tickets in their ticket pockets, etc...

I don't mind things that are purely ornamental in any case.

3. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

The Maus & Hoffman holiday catalogue, on page 27, shows a matching "Stripe Tie and Handkerchief Set by Brioni."  Looks swell to me.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, Brioni does a lot of that. I don't like it. It looks too contrived.

I usually go for linen or a nice Hermes print (and Hermes pocket squares are the best that I've ever seen).

5. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

By "contrived" do you mean superficial?  If so, that's what I had in mind with my earlier thought:  

"I think the 'rule' against an exact match is not based solely on aesthetic opinion.  Probably it is based also on the idea that an exact match is more mindless, or less creative, than a thoughtful assemblage of patterns and colors."

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, I mean contrived in the sense of trying too hard.

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

Let's see the result :

1) bad taste : More than 50 %

At least 50 % think it is a proof of bad taste to match

2) Why not : 42 %

42 % do not know or do not care really about it

3) Good taste : 2 %

2 % (you drizz) think that this is a way to look better

Well, Drizz, what is your conclusion ? May be that unemployment protects from bad taste ?

8. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't think things need to be used only for their intended purpose either; my theory is that they should be otherwise useful than for ornamentation. You are, of course entirely entitled to your opinion, and I don't presume to look down on anyone who shares it.
    Good call. I don't like those either ( [​IMG] ) but not because they have no purpose. Again, I don't think less of someone who wears them; they're just not for me.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i keep a functional (cotton) handkerchief in my breast pocket. i use it to wipe my brow if i sweat and to wipe my hands if nothing else is available. ornamentation is for women.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's a slight secret of well-dressed men to wear a finely tailored suit, a fine shirt, a pattered tie, and a totally clashing pokcet square.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

Quite so. Â Even when informally dressed in cords and tweed sports jacket, or in chinos and blazer, a pocket-handkerchief is still de rigeur, Â and a cheerful colour always lifts the spirits. Â In much the same way, colourful socks are essential for dull meetings when the conventions of business dictate a muted look. Â My favourites are those obtainable here: .Pakeman, Catto & Carter A nice touch at formal functions is to carry a spare white handkerchief, which may be offered to any lady in need

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

Well, sounds like matching is not a good idea...