1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Should Pocket Squares match the tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Nov 18, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

What do you guys think about pocket squares and tie contrast?

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

What is the difference between the 2 last?

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Is the last one "it SHOULD" ?

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

it should be "I always match pocket square/tie" at least that's what I meant.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

You said "only". What do you want to match but color and paterns? Labels?[​IMG] I have understood that you were trying to say...

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

OK, lighten up guys. We know what he meant. [​IMG] I think getting the colors close is acceptable; otherwise, go for complimentary colors/patterns. Matching is a little too "Van Heusen."

7. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I suggest that when someone does a poll, the possible poll answers should not overlap each other. You can achieve this by offering a few choices (four max?). Something like: 1) Always, 2) same pattern ok, 3) similar color ok, 4) never.

Why? A poll serves a purpose: to inform people of what is the most common way of thinking. If at the end of a poll the 10 votes it gets are spread among 10 possible answers, it doesn't serve its purpose.

Other than that... I love the polls you are posting on the site. They inform me a lot about the way people think in regards to important style topics.

Thanks.

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

I agree

9. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Speaking of ties and pocket squares -- I think the "rule" against an exact match is not based solely on aesthetic opinion.  Probably it is based also on the idea that an exact match is more mindless, or less creative, than a thoughtful assemblage of patterns and colors.  That idea may or may not be true but, IMHO, a tie and pocket square of the same material can look good - sharp and dressy.

10. j

j Senior member

Personally, I like the idea of keeping some of the practical heritage of any clothing detail. Thus I only really like handkerchiefs that could actually be used for something in an emergency, i.e. cotton or linen. Silk seems completely impractical for a handkerchief, while it actually makes some sense for a tie. To me, it would be like wearing satin silk gloves. I don't disagree that a silk handkerchief can look good, but it's not for me.

I also don't like the term 'pocket square'; it is one of the most ridiculous terms I can think of and reflects the idea that the item is for decoration only (which in many cases it is). However, in some sense all clothes are for decoration only, so why not call pants 'leg rectangles', socks 'foot tubes' and ties 'neck strips'. It's probably just me. But say it to yourself a few times.. "pocket square.. pocket square.."

11. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Or, in geekspeak: The questions should form an orthogonal set.

B

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm not huge into the whole functionality thing. I think items are used for purposes for which they were not originally intended. Some examples would be obviously the polo shirt, the rugby shirt, button down shirts (in general), ticket pockets, etc. I just wear what I think is aestheically pleasing regardless of its functional necessity or lack thereof.

13. j

j Senior member

That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

Pocket of a suit

15. Will

Will Senior member

The poll mig htalso take into account that the square should be a different texture than the necktie, such as a linen square with a silk tie or a silk square with a cashmere tie.

I agree with Flusser that silk squares are fine with silk ties that have a flat finish, like a grenadine, but linen or cashmere squares work better with brighter silks.

Will

16. j

j Senior member

(j @ 19 Nov. 2004, 02:44) That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
    Pocket of a suit
    Do you have pockets you can't (not don't) put things into? All mine are open and functional, even if I don't use them.

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Well you CAN use a silk hankerchief to wipe your noise [​IMG] I voted for never matching... I think it looks very tacky to match any two colors in your outfit except for leather items, which should always match.

18. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 18 Nov. 2004, 5:56)
    That's cool. I would counter, thought, that almost everything else you (could) list has a function of some kind, while a silk 'pocket square' is purely ornamental. Even the tie keeps the neck warm. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is common yet useless is the sleeve buttons on a suit sleeve. Those, I wouldn't go without, but they come with the suit. Can you think of anything else that's purely ornamental like that?
    Pocket of a suit
    Do you have pockets you can't (not don't) put things into? All mine are open and functional, even if I don't use them.
    so there is no sue if you do not use it

19. ernest

ernest Senior member

It goes right with a sport watch thus

20. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Tassel on a loafer.