1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should One Wear Braces?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Sator

Sator Senior member

May I ask if you own any brace trousers? If not, I do suggest you give them a try. They are a great pleasure to wear. They are cut significantly looser in the upper waist compared to belt trousers. Belt trousers have too tight a waistband to match them in comfort, and don't feel right worn with brace once you get used to proper brace trousers.

There was a time when brace trousers were "regular" trousers.

2. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

That's a bit categorical and I don't know that I agree. Even trousers with a 'regular' cut, I find, are more comfortable when worn with braces.

I second that. While brace trousers are no doubt better, I find regular trousers are more comfortable with braces. [​IMG]

3. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767
    These days nobody is going to shocked if they saw your braces, though you might get a few funny stares and comments. However, walking around with the braces showing does have a somewhat negative stereotype associated with it:

[​IMG]

Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers. These are cut with a higher rise and fish mouth back:

[​IMG]

The waist also has to be a bit looser than with belt trousers. When you go back to belt trousers you notice that they are more constricting around the waist. Clip ons damage the trousers and should be avoided at all cost. You can add brace buttons to belt trousers but it is often uncomfortable.

As this diagram illustrates (from Flusser), brace trousers also help to hide a stout waistline:

[​IMG]

They also straighten out the leg line and make the wearer look taller, as already mentioned.

So there are numerous advantages to brace trousers. These days brace trousers can usually only be custom made, and most wearers show them off as an old world curiosity clipped on to their belt trousers.

By default, Oxxford has brace trousers with their off the rack suits and tuxedos, FWIW.

However, I do not know if Oxxford has dress trousers (or, as some people on AAAC and/or SF would call them, odd trousers) off the rack that are brace trousers.

I am not 100% sure (maybe about 25-50% sure), but I believe that everything above about Oxxford also applies to Samuelsohn.

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

the only time I find them not to be apropriate is with jeans or with a belt. Also no clip ons, not ever. Especialy if you have brace buttons, that is just an oxymoron to use clips.

5. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

the only time I find them not to be apropriate is with jeans or with a belt. Also no clip ons, not ever. Especialy if you have brace buttons, that is just an oxymoron to use clips.

Can you use braces with chinos then? Ive got normal belt loops, but say i didnt want to wear a belt. Could i use braces instead?

6. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

I use them with clips. Nobody sees them anyway, under my waistcoat. [​IMG] They also have plastic teeth, as not to damage my pants.

I probably should get some suspender button pants.

7. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member