• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should my new chinos dye?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought some Incotex chinos in the b&s frenzy earlier this year. I love the fit, but the color is actually not what I had thought. I'd expected a light-medium gray, but there is actually a noticeable green tinge that I just can't ignore or like. They are a nice silk (27%) & cotton blend.

Should I try dying them to a straight-gray that's as close in tone to their existing color as I can? If so, does anyone have any tips/recommendations? Or do I sell them off and look for some new pants in a color to my liking?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your chinos should die.

Sell em and get a new pair.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These will be very difficult to dye. They are a combo of protien (silk) and cotton (cellulose), which both need different dyeing methods. Dyes are transparent also so you would have to dye to a darker color if you want to have any effect.

I guess you could dye the cotton fibers with procion mx, but you may end up with an undesirable result. I'd reccommend dyeing fabrics with atleast %90 or more of one fiber.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both silk and cotton take Rit dye pretty well.

The only problem is Rit dye fades with washing so it is better suited for things that won't see a washing machine often.

Also, the green tinge probably will not go away unless you try to bleach them out first. The bleach WILL be a problem with the silk.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can also use a safer bleach that RIT makes. DO NOT USE RIT DYE, I REPEAT DO NOT USE IT. You will have to heat the silk up to boiling water temperature. It also does not afix to the fabric well. If you are going to use anything use Jacquard Procion Mx. You can buy it at blick or online

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not worth the effort, and it won't look right when its done. Sell 'em and buy what works for you.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of incotex chinos that got bad stains I believe from a wallet. Dry cleaners and all stain removers wouldn't work. They are unwearable and unsellable. I tried rit color remover and they turned pink! I am going to try one more thing before they go in the trash. Rit sells a white wash that I want to try to make them white chinos from tan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads