Should men be expected to vacate their seats in the metro for women* ?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by aj_del, Apr 7, 2011.

1. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Hi

Yesterday, I travelled on the metro here in Delhi, India and an announcement was being made repeatedly

"Please vacate your seat for the physically disabled, elderly and ladies"

While I agree with the first 2, I couldnt understand why a man was expected to give up his seat for woman who is not pregnant or with small children. Mind you, the first coach of each train is reserved for ladies.

So, should men be expected to vacate their seats in the metro for women who are not pregnant or with small children ? What do you think ?

Best regards

AJ

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I don't mind, specially if the train's crowded and a lady gets sandwiched between burly dudes.

3. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Well, the first coach is ladies only, so generally all the women travelling use that coach which is also less crowded than other coaches.

Only women who are travelling with someone who cannot use the ladies coach use the general coach. In the general coach, to expect men to vacate their seat for women seems unfair to men.

In this day and age of equality of the sexes, why should a man be expected to get up ? My legs hurt as much as a woman's from standing.

Of course, if a man gets up out of courtesy that is one thing, but to be expected to do so is another.

4. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I don't think it should be mandatory or regulated in any way because that's silly, but in any event, I would give up my seat for a woman as long as she was mildly attractive.

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ It is not regulated, only travel in the ladies only coach is regulated.

But why are they announcing it again and again ? Why cant the ladies travel just like men do ? If a seat is empty take it, otherwise just stand.

BTW, I am coming across as a discourteous man. I assure it is not so IRL. I would vacate my seat for anyone who is reasonable elder to me. But the announcement thing creates a sense of obligation to do so for all women in all situations.

6. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I just think it's common courtesy to do so. The whole thing sort of reminds me of being reminded to say goodnight to someone. Some people just need the aide-mÃ[​IMG]moire, I suppose.

7. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

The moment it becomes mandatory, it stops being polite.

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ As I said before, it is not mandatory, more of an appeal which is being made again and again.

Anyhow, tell me what is the difference between a man and woman when it comes to standing in a public transport. Why would not give up your seat for a man but would give it up for a woman.

Assume both are 35 yrs old in good health ...

9. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i would help her with her bags, hold a door open for her, let her leave the train first etc, but i dont think ive ever stood up for a woman who want old or pregnant.

i live in a fairly egalitarian society and it'd just be seen as weird and creepy where i live.

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

It used to be commonplace to stand up whenever a woman entered the room, or got up from the table. I still like practicing this. Also, I always walk on the street side of the sidewalk when walking with a woman.

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

It shouldn't be required, but there are few occasions that I haven't vacated my seat if a chick was standing.

12. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ But why ? Even I have been doing it but the announcement led me to wonder why I have been doing it ? If it good manners, why dont I vacate my seat for a man also ?

What is so special for women w.r.t. to this ? Is it the fairer sex thing ? Am I to assume that she is more delicate than me ?

13. Lord Asquith

Lord Asquith Well-Known Member

^^ As I said before, it is not mandatory, more of an appeal which is being made again and again.

Anyhow, tell me what is the difference between a man and woman when it comes to standing in a public transport. Why would not give up your seat for a man but would give it up for a woman.

Assume both are 35 yrs old in good health ...

You are correct and generally the female has been sitting on her arse all day anyway. If a female wants to sit then she can sit in your lap but then she should pay you for the inconvenience. And why is there a special car for the females up front? Suppose men were standing and there was room in the female car. Shouldn't they just be able to take a seat? This is discrimination against men.

14. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

i only get up for disabled or elderly.

if she's young, she can stand, not a problem.
    even if they were cute, doesn't matter.

the elderly deserve respect and the disabled need more rest.

15. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

^^ But why ? Even I have been doing it but the announcement led me to wonder why I have been doing it ? If it good manners, why dont I vacate my seat for a man also ?

It's a cultural thing down here. It's the same reason I hold open a door, ask if I can help with anything heavy, etc. It also gives me a good look down her shirt. [​IMG]