1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Wear This?: Post It Before You Roast It

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Once again late, but if your photo of the jacket is color correct I think that would be a great evening outfit. And black derbies seem right. The color and slight sheen give it a bit of a retro vibe that I think would work for a casual dinner.

On the other hand, if the swatch photo is more correct then daytime only.

NB: I have no basis for that opinion. Pure instinct.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Not too late. It hasn't been worn yet. Tonight.

3. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Looks and sounds good to me. How does a midnight blue tie look with that kit? How do you like the drape and feel of the gabardine?

4. Caustic Man

5. Caustic Man

The fabric is great. I wouldn't call anything luxurious on a regular basis, but this gabardine definitely fits that description. I'd recommend it.

6. Best4Best

Best4Best Well-Known Member

Here is another option to wear green, with green socks...got a lot of compliments

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  7. Caustic Man

^^^ You should have posted that fit to this thread before deciding to wear it.

8. Sander

Sander Senior member

That's been well established by now. It's just that black derbies are just a very boring shoe. Black tassels is the right amount of friction between casual and formal, black derbies is just meh.

Or to put it differently: you see a lot of people without a clue (sartorially) wearing black derbies, but none wearing black tassels (at least in Europe).

9. Caustic Man

That's an interesting comment, and I suppose a non standard suit like this would go well with a non standard shoe like black tassels. Black tassels are so non standard that I don't own a pair, however. I think they are probably more common in the U.S. with he whole Trad thing, though. I've only ever seen them in the wild south of the Mason Dixon line.

10. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Black tassels in Europe would be very weird. I think I never saw them IRL before I moved to North America.
    But funny you mention them, just yesterday I saw a guy in downtown Toronto, he was very good looking, In his 50s, some kind of bankster, judging by the location where I saw him, very well dressed, but kind of conservative with no detail standing out, very nice haircut. Really styllish in the North East American sense...
    Except, he was wearing black tassels loafers. I understand loafers are the thing in NE establishment, but tassels?

Edit: I still thought he looked sillish, even those tassels looked in the right place.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  11. Caustic Man

This suit has been sitting in the closet for a loooong time. Long overdue for a resurrection. I have some business shit to take care of in Chicago. Should I wear this?

[​IMG]

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

We Old Ivy League types wear back tassels with business suits. I have a pair which I haven't worn in years,
    but when I worked in more formal environments I wore them. I wear black derbies with more formal suits.
    I hate oxfords or brogues. But that's my own personal idiosyncracy.

1 person likes this.
  13. comrade

comrade Senior member

Looks great. You'll blow them away !

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really like the tie and the square together and look forward to seeing them worn in a different context.

I don't think that's the best way to wear a suit that comes across as dated and/or menswear normcore. And there is nothing inherently wrong with menswear normcore. But if you did want to wear that jacket, I'd go the whole nine yards for coherence's sake and wear something like a navy grenadine and a white linen square.

15. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'm afraid there's a reason you haven't worn this suit in a long time. Of course it's not ugly and nobody in their right mind would say it doesn't work as an inconspicious business suit, but stripes that small just look... eh.

16. Caustic Man

What is normcore? Are you making up terms again?

Interesting comment on the stripes. I tend to not like pinstripes generally speaking, and larger ones even less so. Perhaps I was trying to compromise, in a sense, and should have just abandoned the stripe idea altogether.

17. Caustic Man

What do we think of this iteration? Everything is the same, except for a much more recent suit.

[​IMG]

18. Claghorn

19. Caustic Man

Interesting. To nitpick a little, I think a vast swath of classic menswear could be interpreted as "normcore". A plain navy suit, a blazer and gray trousers, striped ties. Aside from fit and possibly fabric, those staples seem to be about as normal/unremarkable as it gets.

20. Claghorn

Agreed. That's probably why there is such a great emphasis on fit and fabric here.

But within the world of #menswear, suits like that are the equivalent of norm core in the broader world.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016