Should I wear suits for college?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HarveySpecter, May 3, 2013.

1. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Hey Harvey, don't Cardinal Newman has a uniform? I remember when I was in Brighton, both GSCEs and A level had sets of uniforms to follow. Obviously, if the 6th form requires suits and school tie, it will be stupid to not wear one. If they don't, it is best to commission some odd jackets and trousers for school, if you are keen on the sharp looking side.

TBH, forget what you should wear, the girls in Newman is generally the hottest in the region, beats my old school and Brighton Hove High.

2. xMaximex

xMaximex Well-Known Member

This is an appropriate username. In my experience, rich kids tend to wear everything but classy clothes - and even a suit. If you wear a suit daily (second skin!), why would you come here asking for our opinion? A tucked shirt (with a tie, if part of the uniform) will be more than enough.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

In business school, I can't remember seeing many suits...forget about it...not even on the professors.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

In US business schools, at least on the east coast and among junior faculty, most faculty wear suits.

5. Wade

Wade Senior member

I think it depends on the professor.
    My intro to business prof and my accounting professor wore suit and tie and my econ prof was business casual (if he has a suit jacket on there was never a tie)

That said, unless you have an interview/work/presentation, it makes you look like a pretentious dick going to school everyday in a suit just for the sake of wearing one

The clothes dont make the man.
    Just wear what's comfortable to school. I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US no one really cares
    My cousin wore sweatpants for the majority of his undergrad years, and now he works at one of the largest law firms in the world

6. jm722

jm722 Member

People who have a lot of money that they earn don't flaunt it. Flaunting money that your parents make and has nothing to do with you is just immature, douchey, and asking to be targeted by others.

Also, most people in law school don't even wear suits to class. One of the big firms I worked for as a summer associate didn't even wear suits. It was mostly shirt and tie.

He's obviously young, naive, arrogant, and want to show off things that he didn't even earn. Let him figure it out himself. It'll be a lonely time in school and law school (which already tends to be)

7. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

Quote:
    You sound like an ass. If you wear suits like a second skin, keep wearing them. That's who you are. Let people know who you are. Flaunt your pens and watches. That's fair warning to them.

8. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I expect to be buried in nice shoes, so I might as well sleep in them now.

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I must have missed all of those professors. Maybe the casual dress is why they're ratemyprofessor ratings were so high.

10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

OP, I'm probably wealthier than you.

But I never wore suits every day when I was sixteen.

Do you even chase women?

A noteworthy point to make however, is my friend, who is personally worth 100 mil +, wears polos and jeans to graduate school.

He's also better than you. Peasant.

11. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

You had to keep your fathers reputation? So your fathers reputation is based on wearing suits?

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trolls aren't always bad. They can be fun for the whole family.

And if this isn't a troll, he's only a child. In which case he'll make his mistakes and hopefully learn. Or he won't learn and disgrace his family.

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...fixed that for you.

14. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

If you slept in your shoes, you should have no clue as to what the bloody hell happened the night before.
    If you know you are going to sleep and wear your shoes, you are just :facepalm:

This thread now has multiple entities divulging very distasteful(to put it mildly) info about their personal situations.
    Not that I even believe any or all of it but it is crass for the mentions, true or false.

At least someone should have asked OP for fit pics so that he might be ridiculed or vetted.

15. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Vox wore boxers to school to showcase his immense wealth.

Damn plebs.