• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear suits and ties?

Marko1001

Reaction score
At your age, pick and choose when a suit is appropriate. It's a very fine line between "cool and eccentric" and "weird." Err on the side of caution. You can go all out in college! Also, your body is changing pretty rapidly at your age, which makes getting a cool Rat Pack fit for you suit exceptionally hard unless you have a lot of family money to support your burgeoning habit.

BTW, other than the scrunched up collar, you're effing rocking that. Nice look.
I know my collar is scrunched.I putted on shirt and tie in rush

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be 39 in a few weeks and I don't wear suits unless the occasion calls for it. Which is to say I got married in June of 2019 and thats the last time I wore a suit.

Focus on dressing in what makes you feel comfortable and confident. It's a long journey but a fun one.

Many others have answered your question directly. I just wanted to offer advice.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be 39 in a few weeks and I don't wear suits unless the occasion calls for it. Which is to say I got married in June of 2019 and thats the last time I wore a suit.

Focus on dressing in what makes you feel comfortable and confident. It's a long journey but a fun one.

Many others have answered your question directly. I just wanted to offer advice.

There are plenty of occasions that don’t require a suit, but where a suit would not be out of place. Religious services were already mentioned, and the theater. Or even a nice dinner. Suits are not “required” in any of those situations but you wouldn’t be out of place in one. Most anyone can certainly find reasons to dress up if they really want to.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I realize that at this time young men can’t always wear more formal clothes. I’m also interested in theater and operas, also at church when when I’m only wearing a plain T-shirt, but when it’s a more important day I’m wearing a shirt and tie, I might even wear a suit, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t draw much attention to myself. I wear the suit mostly at weddings or holy confirmation and communion (although I wore a tuxedo and a bow tie on the confirmation). And for theater and opera, it’s a great idea. Thanks again.

I would say this: since you want to dress this way, take advantage of all reasonable opportunities to do so. Enjoy the theatre, the opera, and church while looking your best. Don't even wait for Easter or Pentecost: every time you enter church, dress up! Find a reason to go to the theatre and opera. Perhaps, even, a nice young lady might want to go with you, but if not your family and loved ones are great to go with, too. Meanwhile, for school? Find a style that suits you, but doesn't seem so out of place. Then when you grow up and are working, you'll be prepared to look elegant and well dressed whatever the circumstance.

Mind you, some girls your age might not know what to do with a young man wearing a suit. Judge that one carefully. She might be woefully underprepared, and the goal of taking a lady out is never to draw the spotlight from her, but to complement it elegantly. It also depends a lot on the culture you find yourself in, as right now people dress like slobs to the opera and ballet in New York.

Marko1001

Reaction score
I would say this: since you want to dress this way, take advantage of all reasonable opportunities to do so. Enjoy the theatre, the opera, and church while looking your best. Don't even wait for Easter or Pentecost: every time you enter church, dress up! Find a reason to go to the theatre and opera. Perhaps, even, a nice young lady might want to go with you, but if not your family and loved ones are great to go with, too. Meanwhile, for school? Find a style that suits you, but doesn't seem so out of place. Then when you grow up and are working, you'll be prepared to look elegant and well dressed whatever the circumstance.

Mind you, some girls your age might not know what to do with a young man wearing a suit. Judge that one carefully. She might be woefully underprepared, and the goal of taking a lady out is never to draw the spotlight from her, but to complement it elegantly. It also depends a lot on the culture you find yourself in, as right now people dress like slobs to the opera and ballet in New York.
Yeah,Im not actually planing to wear suit and tie to school.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
At your age it is more important to fit in with a peer group.

Heh heh I am double the OP's age but as a former super awkward teenager, I still cringe when thinking about how hard those days can be. This sort of thing is human nature I think and continues through all ages; it just feels especially acute when you're 16 because you don't have enough life perspective yet, plus any antagonist will come at you with naked unrefined force because he's also 16 and stupid. @Marko1001 I would suggest doing what I do now (I am maybe 2x your age, but peer groups are still a thing, just less scary and generally a productive thing both personally and professionally to be a part of), which is to get a feel for what your peer group wears on an important day, e.g. going to a family event or a big meeting with a mentor, and use that as your upper limit for how you dress day to day. Lower bound of course is how they dress on a regular uneventful day.

I don't know what your cultural norms are, but here, a suit like yours would be pretty out of that limit for high school unless there's a Model UN shindig going on that day, and might potentially make the other students uncomfortable even, even if they don't overtly exclude or attack you. A casual cotton sportcoat with neatly starched chinos, check/gingham shirt, and smart-casual sneakers would be fine perhaps.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a young man, I did not want to wear suits and ties however I was into style, primarily a punk/goth aesthetic. It is commendable that you want to wear classic tailoring however in high school, you will stand out and likely be subject to ridicule. In comparison to your friends, you may want to raise the level just a little. Wear trousers instead of jeans. Wear a button up shirt or polo. For the right occasion, definitely throw on the suit of armor.

Save nice suits for when you won't grow out of them anymore.

Marko1001

Reaction score
As a young man, I did not want to wear suits and ties however I was into style, primarily a punk/goth aesthetic. It is commendable that you want to wear classic tailoring however in high school, you will stand out and likely be subject to ridicule. In comparison to your friends, you may want to raise the level just a little. Wear trousers instead of jeans. Wear a button up shirt or polo. For the right occasion, definitely throw on the suit of armor.

Save nice suits for when you won't grow out of them anymore.
Thanks for idea. I'm not actually planing wear suit to school,but thanks.

apd90700

Reaction score
@Marko1001 -- Short answer is no, don't wear a suit and tie.

Longer answer. The older you get the more formal your attire. Generally speaking the younger you are the less formal your attire can/should be [in an average situation]. As you age, the clothes you wear may become something like your armor -- your body is no longer what it once was, and the formal clothes help to elevate your aesthetic.

At your age, focus on nice sneakers, something like the Crown Northampton Upton Wholecuts in White Calf leather with Black soles, and swap the laces with Black Flat Waxed 120 cm laces. That way you can pair these with a lot of different casual outfits. If they fit well, and you like them, go for something in Horween, maybe some Overstone in Natural Chromexcel with Gumsoles. Even this is maybe more upscale than a teenager needs, and or would be appropriate.

Number 1 rule for any age is clothing fit. Your clothes should fit your figure well, don't wear high-rise pants [at your age], don't go baggy, probably don't go slim and tapered -- even though that seems to be generally recommended by women stylists who are dressing men for women's taste. Your wanting to make subtle style variation that elevates you slightly above the norm, but doesn't make you stand out. Haters gone hate.

P.S. you could try different glasses variations, the frames can change your look drastically. Also, the haircut should be taken into consideration. Those two small changes and you'd look a world different.

1620231937360.png

1620231912899.png

adschus

Reaction score
Definitely wear what you are comfortable in but not a suit and tie. What do your friends wear? In college or after high school, you can wear whatever you want to.

By the way, you are aware that your collar wasn't straight and was scrunched up. Please take your time; This isn't a race. Being detailed in everything you do, not just in dressing, is super important.

Marko1001

Reaction score
Definitely wear what you are comfortable in but not a suit and tie. What do your friends wear? In college or after high school, you can wear whatever you want to.

By the way, you are aware that your collar wasn't straight and was scrunched up. Please take your time; This isn't a race. Being detailed in everything you do, not just in dressing, is super important.
Thanks.Yeah I know my collar isn't straight, I putted shirt and tie in rush.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're all missing the most obvious advice. When in doubt, show up to high school in a white linen suit.

james-spader-pretty-in-pink-memoriam.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads