• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear suits and ties?

Marko1001

Reaction score
Should I as a teenager wear suit and tie more that often. Or is it weird for teens to wear formal chlotes?
IMG_20200627_132430~2.jpg

Here is me wearing my first suit.

Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
At your age it is more important to fit in with a peer group. Find a group you like, and work on that. Being the only guy wearing a suit will subject you to untold ridicule, which you don't need at your age.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I'd save a suit and tie for occasions that call for one. Wearing a lot of tailored clothing as a teenager is likely to get you marked as a weirdo rather than well-dressed. On occasions when you do wear a suit and tie, wear a suit that fits, and wear the shirt properly. Better to wear well-fitting casual clothing rather than trying to wear more formal clothing and getting it wrong.

Marko1001

Reaction score
I'd save a suit and tie for occasions that call for one. Wearing a lot of tailored clothing as a teenager is likely to get you marked as a weirdo rather than well-dressed. On occasions when you do wear a suit and tie, wear a suit that fits, and wear the shirt properly. Better to wear well-fitting casual clothing rather than trying to wear more formal clothing and getting it wrong.
thanks for the advice, i think for future wear such things

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I as a teenager wear suit and tie more that often. Or is it weird for teens to wear formal chlotes?
View attachment 1603227
I don't know if "weird" is the right word. There are times when a suit and tie are seen as appropriate and times when they are not seen as appropriate. When I was in high school, I was a member of two clubs (FBLA and DECA). Both clubs had dress for success days at school which allowed me to wear a suit and tie twice a week. I enjoyed it and it was school sanctioned so it didn't seem as "weird" because other students were doing it.

Like most things in life, when you choose to do something that others are not doing, some will dislike you for it. You have to decide if that dislike is worth it.

I would generally not recommend wearing a suit and tie on a daily basis as a teenager. If you must, I would save it for "special occasions" like when you have to stand up in front of the class and give a presentation or your taking a very important standardized test or something like that. People often dress up when they have a reason to. It helps to have a reason.

Given how I see most teenagers dress, it doesn't take much to be more formal than most. I think a sport coat and odd trousers could work depending on the crowd you roll with. A suit would be a step much for almost any social circle I can imagine.

End of the day, if I had to guess, the majority of people you ask about this are going to say not to wear a suit. If it makes you happy go for it. Just know there will most likely be positive and negative consequences.

Last note: The shirt collar is much too large on you. If you're going to wear a suit and tie as a teenager, make sure it looks really good.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Context matters, as others have implied. What event is happening, how others around you dress, cliques in high school etc.

I had a friend in high school who would randomly wear a suit to class, and it always seemed off and attention seeking.

I had another friend who would wear chinos, dress shirt, and a fair isle sweater vest. Or just a turtleneck.

Of the two, the last guy always seemed more appropriately dressed for the occasion. He was still better put together than anyone else, but it seemed natural.

Marko1001

Reaction score
I don't know if "weird" is the right word. There are times when a suit and tie are seen as appropriate and times when they are not seen as appropriate. When I was in high school, I was a member of two clubs (FBLA and DECA). Both clubs had dress for success days at school which allowed me to wear a suit and tie twice a week. I enjoyed it and it was school sanctioned so it didn't seem as "weird" because other students were doing it.

Like most things in life, when you choose to do something that others are not doing, some will dislike you for it. You have to decide if that dislike is worth it.

I would generally not recommend wearing a suit and tie on a daily basis as a teenager. If you must, I would save it for "special occasions" like when you have to stand up in front of the class and give a presentation or your taking a very important standardized test or something like that. People often dress up when they have a reason to. It helps to have a reason.

Given how I see most teenagers dress, it doesn't take much to be more formal than most. I think a sport coat and odd trousers could work depending on the crowd you roll with. A suit would be a step much for almost any social circle I can imagine.

End of the day, if I had to guess, the majority of people you ask about this are going to say not to wear a suit. If it makes you happy go for it. Just know there will most likely be positive and negative consequences.

Last note: The shirt collar is much too large on you. If you're going to wear a suit and tie as a teenager, make sure it looks really good.
thanks a lot for the advice, i don't mean to wear a suit every now and then but in moderation as you stated.
Also, I know I wore the wrong shirt and tie. Thanks anyways.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At your age, pick and choose when a suit is appropriate. It's a very fine line between "cool and eccentric" and "weird." Err on the side of caution. You can go all out in college! Also, your body is changing pretty rapidly at your age, which makes getting a cool Rat Pack fit for you suit exceptionally hard unless you have a lot of family money to support your burgeoning habit.

BTW, other than the scrunched up collar, you're effing rocking that. Nice look.

Marko1001

Reaction score
Nice suit. Nice tie. But your collar is all scrunched up.
Is is a knit shirt? Otherwise, try to straighten it.
Thanks for compliment, I know my collar is scrunched.I putted on shirt and tie in rush

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1603227

Marko, I must commend you for wanting to wear a suit and tie. A handsome young lad as yourself, with a little bit of help, is sure to look stunning; however, I dare say you may want to reserve a suit for a suit occasion.

Think of it this way: you'd look stupid going to the beach in a suit. In like manner, school may be a bit too informal right now. No need to dress like a slob, but maybe the suit isn't what you want. Plus, as you are growing, you'll want to wait till you've matured to really invest in fine clothing.

Church, meanwhile, is a great place to wear suits. The theatre also. A young man like yourself would be quite welcomed in a suit there.

Marko1001

Reaction score
Marko, I must commend you for wanting to wear a suit and tie. A handsome young lad as yourself, with a little bit of help, is sure to look stunning; however, I dare say you may want to reserve a suit for a suit occasion.

Think of it this way: you'd look stupid going to the beach in a suit. In like manner, school may be a bit too informal right now. No need to dress like a slob, but maybe the suit isn't what you want. Plus, as you are growing, you'll want to wait till you've matured to really invest in fine clothing.

Church, meanwhile, is a great place to wear suits. The theatre also. A young man like yourself would be quite welcomed in a suit there.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I realize that at this time young men can’t always wear more formal clothes. I’m also interested in theater and operas, also at church when when I’m only wearing a plain T-shirt, but when it’s a more important day I’m wearing a shirt and tie, I might even wear a suit, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t draw much attention to myself. I wear the suit mostly at weddings or holy confirmation and communion (although I wore a tuxedo and a bow tie on the confirmation). And for theater and opera, it’s a great idea. Thanks again.

willyto

Reaction score
As a teenager you could just stick to the casual side of classic menswear. That way you won't stand as much and you can still be dressed to your liking without wearing suits.

Save the suits for special occasions.

Also suits aren't practical for daily wear as a teenager unless you really go to a school where a uniform is mandatory but then usually those are just charcoal trousers/shorts and navy jacket even on the more formal schools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics