• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should i wear a suit everyday?

armorarmylt

Reaction score
wearing a suit is the wrong way to go my man!!! start with blazers and sport coats, throw a tie in there once in a while, get all the stuff tailored and it will look amazing, you dont need a suit in high school. I can almost guarantee that you cant afford(at your age) to have a suit rotation, because we all know that wearing the same stuff to school everyday will most likely get you nowhere!. My last year of high school, i wore dress shirts almost daily with jeans and even though most of my classmates wore t-shirts and jerseys, i still stood out(positively). And lets face it.... most 17 year old girls have zero appreciation for suits except on prom nite..... when the time comes for that, talk to the guys in here because some of them are GENIUSES when it comes to this stuff.... and oh ps,,, never wear a zoot suit, you dont need to look like denzel in the malcom X movie.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I did, of course I went to a prep school so it wasn't that big of a deal but I think you should do it anyways. You can't go though life basing all of your decisions on what others will do or say, you have to do whats best for you and what you want to do.

As a fellow prep school alum I can assure you that you looked ridiculous wearing suits daily.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm begining to think the OP is a troll. Why no replies to his own thread?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I'm begining to think the OP is a troll. Why no replies to his own thread?
Wait, let me see if I get you straight. Are you suggesting someone might actually register and post a topic for no other purpose than to get his rocks off by watching people run around and take it seriously?

SmileofaConman

Reaction score
Im 16 and i wore a suit or extremly dressy clothes most of the year round and this exactly how you eill be treated at first i was ridiculed insulted and humilated
But over time they relize i wasnt someone to mess with
I dated girls older then me by three years and out of highschool due to my personality and my style they believed i was sophisticated
It didnt dictate who i was because i can say that i live heavy metal and everyone knew it
People eventually start complementing you and if fells devent
But no matter what you will have odd looks at you
if you personality is on the preppier side it will be harder especially if your homosexual
im full out straight and wear hankercheif and three piece or two piece blazers all the time
If you dress that way you will have to back it up not matter what people say to you
If someone insults you knock him on his ass and dont wear a bow tie or a cummerband that is for specific occasions such as prom you always want to dress to occasion if your not willing to go the whole nine yards then i suggest you slowly ease into it such as dress shirts and etc then slowly incorparating the blazers and such
You will fill odd at first but i promise you it will be better
As long as you can backyourself up because people will insult and ask
My awser was always because i want to become a modern day transcendentilist in our arrogant society by showing my own individualism or i would say something random like i have dressed like this because i came to chew bubblegum and kickass and im all out of bubblegum
Also if your personality is more stoic ill believe it will be easier and make sure the suit fits right if it doesnt then your just a tool trying to get attention not someone who cares about there looks to the point tht they are willing to dress like this and go theough ridicule if u do the congrats i believe you actually are one ofbthe only people to have courage in our society

My name is Elijah and my senior year is coming up soon
Ill be going to school in a suit first day and be a metal classy gent
So dont worry your not alone

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a silly idea which will make to the butt of jokes - and worse. Dress for the occasion throughout your life but learn when OVER dressing is bad. Here it is - just go with the flow and enjoy your years at school.

Elegantly Wasted

Reaction score

Im 16 and i wore a suit or extremly dressy clothes most of the year round and this exactly how you eill be treated at first i was ridiculed insulted and humilated
But over time they relize i wasnt someone to mess with
I dated girls older then me by three years and out of highschool due to my personality and my style they believed i was sophisticated
It didnt dictate who i was because i can say that i live heavy metal and everyone knew it
People eventually start complementing you and if fells devent
But no matter what you will have odd looks at you
if you personality is on the preppier side it will be harder especially if your homosexual
im full out straight and wear hankercheif and three piece or two piece blazers all the time
If you dress that way you will have to back it up not matter what people say to you
If someone insults you knock him on his ass and dont wear a bow tie or a cummerband that is for specific occasions such as prom you always want to dress to occasion if your not willing to go the whole nine yards then i suggest you slowly ease into it such as dress shirts and etc then slowly incorparating the blazers and such
You will fill odd at first but i promise you it will be better
As long as you can backyourself up because people will insult and ask
My awser was always because i want to become a modern day transcendentilist in our arrogant society by showing my own individualism or i would say something random like i have dressed like this because i came to chew bubblegum and kickass and im all out of bubblegum
Also if your personality is more stoic ill believe it will be easier and make sure the suit fits right if it doesnt then your just a tool trying to get attention not someone who cares about there looks to the point tht they are willing to dress like this and go theough ridicule if u do the congrats i believe you actually are one ofbthe only people to have courage in our society
My name is Elijah and my senior year is coming up soon
Ill be going to school in a suit first day and be a metal classy gent
So dont worry your not alone

Good of you to pay attention to your clothing. Pay similar attention during grammar class and you will be on your way to becoming a distinguished gentleman.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had one guy that wore a suit in HS for a good month or two.
I don't remember his name, but everyone still knows him as "the guy in the suit".

...this was 10 years ago.

MrOnBicycle

Reaction score
That is a silly idea which will make to the butt of jokes - and worse. Dress for the occasion throughout your life but learn when OVER dressing is bad. Here it is - just go with the flow and enjoy your years at school.
While I totally agree that he'll look foolish, where does the limit go for dressing for the occassion? I mean, nowadays some people even think that wearing a shirt that is tucked in is dressed up. Does that mean that one would have to go and get a trashy T-shirt and jeans that come with holes in them just to go to a party?

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was in high school, admittedly some time ago, there were a group of kids called "mods" who would dress in suits and blazers. Notice I say a GROUP of kids. Lone wolves don't tend to do well in high school if they are different in any way lol. That having been said, I don't see a problem with wearing a casual blazer every so often, but a full suit? Save it for the boardroom.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can I suggest that the standard-issue n00b avatars make it extremely hard to follow riveting conversations such as this one?

Also, let's give a spirited golf clap to this thread's OP, who is somehow managing to troll people two years later, presumably from beyond the grave.

Snack88

Reaction score
Perhaps the best reason not to do this is this the fact that you'll be messing up whatever suit you wear. It's high school, in the end. It might seem important now but really, don't bother wasting your money shodding yourself in suits when the reality is that you're going to be surrounded by small minded people who aren't going to appreciate it. Once you're out of high school, go for it. You'll impress the pants off your contemporaries.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a couple interesting/textured sport coats. Maybe one with school colors. Wear it with button down shirts and good fitting jeans. Tucked or untucked (OK in my opinion for a teenager, as long as the shirt hem is shorter). You'll look stylish without looking stuffy.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, im a 17 year old guy going into his senior year of high school and i would really like to wear a classy suit everyday. but im afraid some people may get jealous or it may seam that i think im something else. and by the way when i wear a suit i make sinatra look like a hobo. that being said to me wearing a suit is like wearing armor. what would you think if u were in hs and someone did this ?

Sounds like you'd better leave the suit at home, if you're self-conscious/nervous wearing it and wondering what others might think. Is tailored clothing the normal daily wear at your school? You could always do :fu: and wear it anyway.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads